eXplorest 400?

...looking into getting an eXplorist 400, should I get this, or somthing else? Anything to look out for with the 400?
Explorist 400 is good choice, so is the Explorist 210.

I like the e210 better. It's generally cheaper than the e400, It uses AA batteries, so swapping batteries in the field is easier/more convenient than the e400's rechargeable cellphone-like battery.

True, the e400 lets you use SD card and the e210 doesn't. But does this really matter?

Unless you need to carry huge amounts of mapping data in the GPS itself, you don't need the SD card. I keep a swath of Oregon and Washington in my e210, with POIs and topo data. I've got everything from Mt St Helens down past Mt Hood, and all the way west to the coast. This is more than I'm likely to hike or bike in one day, so I don't need more.

But if you're routinely driving/flying cross-country and don't have time or inclination (or a laptop computer handy) to load more maps -- then the SD card is a good thing to have. That is, IF you take time to build all the maps you ever expect to need, and pre-load the card before you head out :sad:

What to watch out for:

- They're all out of production, no real warranty support even if you find a "new-in-box" model at WalMart or on eBay. If (when) it breaks, the best Magellan can do is send you a new Triton GPS, which is a whole different animal. I watch eBay for cheap ones in case I ever need a spare :sad:

- On a used one, make sure the thumb button in the middle clicks/works cleanly in all directions, and that all the other buttons work in general.

- Look for early serial numbers. Stay away from SNs starting with 013... AND look for firmware versions either LOWER than x.2.03 or HIGHER than x.2.53, so stay away from the x.2.12, x2.16 firmware models.

Higher serial numbers with some of the firmware versions cannot be upgraded; and some of the non-upgradeable models lack useful navigation screens and the ability get WAAS data. I'd go into more details there -- but there's already kilotonnes of info available on this subject by using the Search feature.

Hope that helps.

Given what Lee said about all the Explorist being obsolete, I would think it's time to think about another brand.

I'm told you can get a refurbished DeLorme PN-20 for under $200. It comes with Topos for all the USA. Uses AAs, accepts SD cards and has excellent DeLorme support. Also consider the Garmin Vista HCx with the included Topo 2008 DVD, bit more expensive.

Yeh the whole explorist line is retired. If you buy one and it is still under warranty they wont fix it. They will issue you a replacement triton. Also you won't have waas support either because it is still going to be looking at the old waas sats and there is no way to correct this any more so you would be out of luck. Go with a garmin.

MtnHermit and Storm180, while you're suggesting some reasonable alternatives to the Explorist line, I disagree with some of what you've said.

- I didn't say the Explorist was obsolete; it's discontinued (so is the VW Rabbit, but it's still a cool car). And you're using the word obsolete differently than I would. "Obsolete" to me implies unusable or superceded by something so much better that it makes no sense to use the older product. I'd put a working, firmware-updated Explorist up against any of the models you recommended and it will get the job done.

- The alternatives you suggested are considerably more expensive than a used Explorist (or a "new" one in WallyWorlds's closeout bin). A used Explorist with mapping software can usually be found for $100-$120 on eBay. $150 bundle would be priced a bit high. A used high-end Garmin model or DeLorme is an expensive piece of kit -- especially to someone looking in the Explorist 210-400 range. Also, someone specifically asking about an Explorist may already have some investment in Magellan software, mounting hardware, etc that would have to be replaced if jumping to other brands.

- The "Explorists can't get WAAS" remark is by no means universal, nor is it a big deal to the casual user. I've handled, bought, sold and swapped an awful lot of Explorists. Most have no problem with WAAS. I *have* had 3 that couldn't be upgraded to newer firmware to fix that issue. There are points to watch for in a used model and I outlined these for the OP.

Frankly, the ones I had that couldn't be upgraded didn't lose out so much by not having WAAS, but from the lack of some of the more useful navigation screens.

- If you do somehow get "stuck" with a non-upgradeable Explorist (and you decide you can't live without WAAS or those cool extra screens), call Magellan. Complain and they'll send you a Triton. You might like the Triton or not (I have mixed feelings, but it appeals to me as a hacker) - but if you don't like it, you can eBay it out and look for another Explorist. I haven't lost money on any of these deals yet.

So... if someone comes in here looking for a <$150 package including GPS and topo maps, AND they're specifically asking about Explorist -- there's nothing wrong with the units as long as you shop carefully.

AND... if you really HATE Magellan and you feel like you HAVE to steer them to some other brand -- a used Lowrance H2O is a lot more likely to fall into that budget bracket than a used Garmin or DeLorme.

Edited by lee_rimar

Yeh the whole explorist line is retired. If you buy one and it is still under warranty they wont fix it. They will issue you a replacement triton. Also you won't have waas support either because it is still going to be looking at the old waas sats and there is no way to correct this any more so you would be out of luck. Go with a garmin.

The explorists have several advanced features that other brands still have not matched. I have had a 500 since new 3.5 years ago and I use it a few days every week . The file system and the clean tracks are near the top of features I like. Never needed warranty. The above quote is wrong, I have WAAS, and if you are buying now you can get one that gets WAAS. What you have to do is find a unit that can be upgraded to the European firmware. There are units on ebay now that can do this. At $50 for a 210, $100 for a 400, $135 for a 500, you can have a unit that will work for several years. Buy another one if you drop it on a rock. The unit is discontinued, but far from obsolete.

For what it's worth, I love my Explorist 210. I agree with everything said about the memory and maps. 22 megs carries a lot of map area and you can just swap out the regions when you go to another area. You can load up tracks others have saved and posted on the internet. Next week I'm going out on a desert trek in Nevada using a track I got from the internet (verified by loading and viewing on Google Earth). And I fully agree with the AA battery argument. I still use rechargeable AAs but having the ability to pick up a few backups in any store is huge relief. Go with a 210. In fact, buy two.

...a 210 can connect to a computer but a 300 can't? Strange...
Is true and strange.

As I recall...

100, 200, 300 were introduced first. No connectivity or expandable memory on any of them.

400, 500, 600 came later, with SD card capabilities and USB connectivity.

The 210 may have been an afterthought. Came some time after the SD-based models, but I could have the exact sequence/releases wrong. It has USB connectivity and 32MB internal, enough for loading a good amount of maps, but no SD card expandability. To my mind, this feature set hit the "sweet spot" for a budget, pocket GPS.