On laying out a good hunt

PlantAKiss

For a while now I have been preparing a few more new caches to put down. I recently discovered there has been some renovation to a little-known park area where I have one cache now. I have been hiking and exploring the areas I knew about plus the new areas trying to plot my "layout." I think two caches will be pretty simple. It's the other ones that are giving me a headache trying to work it all out AND fit the sat. rule.

The ideal would be to lead cachers in a logical woodland walk (on trails) with some minor bushwhacking to caches. There are two things preventing me from doing what I'd really like to do.

One would be a multi-cache that takes the cacher through a nature trails along a stream with informational singnage. But after stage two I would need to find a way to guide the cacher at certain points to get to the see something unusual in the forest. The turn spots or woodland entrance spots don't fit the cache sat rule so I can't do more stages. So...how can I get cacher to follow a particular route to the final cache so that they get to see the sights I brought them there for when I can't guide them with stages?

It is my understanding that stages of a cache must fit the .1 sat rule. Is that always the case? Might a reviewer be a little lenient in order to create a more cohesive and interesting cache hunt?

Next point: being out the woods there are actually a number of ways one could approach a cache. In most instances I'm trying to get a cacher to walk a particular trail for the scenery. If its a single-stage cache, how do I set a particular path for the cacher? If I gave trail head coordinates but wanted someone to turn at a specific point, how do I do that unless I add a stage to it.?

I'm not sure if what I said made any sense. :) I am trying to get this completed over my few days off but I'm getting very frustrated. I've been out studying it for the last 2 days and I'm still scratching my head.

Any suggestions? :unsure:

For a while now I have been preparing a few more new caches to put down. I recently discovered there has been some renovation to a little-known park area where I have one cache now. I have been hiking and exploring the areas I knew about plus the new areas trying to plot my "layout." I think two caches will be pretty simple. It's the other ones that are giving me a headache trying to work it all out AND fit the sat. rule.

The ideal would be to lead cachers in a logical woodland walk (on trails) with some minor bushwhacking to caches. There are two things preventing me from doing what I'd really like to do.

One would be a multi-cache that takes the cacher through a nature trails along a stream with informational singnage. But after stage two I would need to find a way to guide the cacher at certain points to get to the see something unusual in the forest. The turn spots or woodland entrance spots don't fit the cache sat rule so I can't do more stages. So...how can I get cacher to follow a particular route to the final cache so that they get to see the sights I brought them there for when I can't guide them with stages?

It is my understanding that stages of a cache must fit the .1 sat rule. Is that always the case? Might a reviewer be a little lenient in order to create a more cohesive and interesting cache hunt?

Next point: being out the woods there are actually a number of ways one could approach a cache. In most instances I'm trying to get a cacher to walk a particular trail for the scenery. If its a single-stage cache, how do I set a particular path for the cacher? If I gave trail head coordinates but wanted someone to turn at a specific point, how do I do that unless I add a stage to it.?

I'm not sure if what I said made any sense. :) I am trying to get this completed over my few days off but I'm getting very frustrated. I've been out studying it for the last 2 days and I'm still scratching my head.

Any suggestions? :unsure:

First, thanks for your efforts in putting out caches that bring people to interesting places.

On the multi-cache, the stages can be within .1 of each other. This is only individual caches where this applies.

On the intended route to a single cache, this is a tough one to answer without first hand knowledge of the cache area. You can provide a waypoint to the trail head if the route is linear but it is not going to stop people from using google earth or another mapping source to figure out a shorter way.

What is it in particular you want them to see? Is it distinct and definable enough to require they gather information that they need to provide to log your cache? You'll have to read the guidelines on ALRs (additional logging requirements) but this is one way you could do it.

Perhaps sell your route by giving them a little more information about what you want them to see along the route? If it is interesting, people that are motivated by the journey, and not the smiley, will go see it.

On the multi-cache, the stages can be within .1 of each other. This is only individual caches where this applies.

I thought I read in the rules that the cache sat rule of .1mi applied to each stage of a cache as well. If it does not, then I can simply use stages to guide people along a specific route. If the 528 rules doesn't apply to stages...that opens up a whole 'nother world! lol

And I don't know if I'm real clear on a waypoint. Is that just coords that refer to some spot....like you could have coords listed in your description that say "turn right here"??

OH...and another question...a cache with two routes...one way is harder but faster, the other way is easier but longer. How do you rate it...go with the more difficult rating? (For that matter, how would you indicate two routes...).

*sigh* I'm confusing myself. But I want to get it ALL worked out tomorrow.

So...how can I get cacher to follow a particular route to the final cache so that they get to see the sights I brought them there for when I can't guide them with stages?

You can't. Despite your best intentions most geocachers will go their own way, usually the quickest one possible. You could suggest the route on the page and even add point of interest waypoints on your cache page, but you can't control geocachers.

If its a single-stage cache, how do I set a particular path for the cacher? If I gave trail head coordinates but wanted someone to turn at a specific point, how do I do that unless I add a stage to it.?

Again you can't. Giving trailhead coordinates and a suggested route will help, but many cachers will ignore that if they find a shorter route.

I thought I read in the rules that the cache sat rule of .1mi applied to each stage of a cache as well. If it does not, then I can simply use stages to guide people along a specific route. If the 528 rules doesn't apply to stages...that opens up a whole 'nother world! lol

The saturation rule does not apply to stages within the same cache. Your stages can be 10 feet from each other if you like. However each physical stage must comply with the saturation rule with regard to any other cache.

OH...and another question...a cache with two routes...one way is harder but faster, the other way is easier but longer. How do you rate it...go with the more difficult rating? (For that matter, how would you indicate two routes...).
I would rate it based on the most likely route that will be taken by searchers. That would usually be the harder, but faster route. What I do in this case is rate it by one route and note on the cache page that if you take X route the terrain is Y stars easier/harder.

And I don't know if I'm real clear on a waypoint. Is that just coords that refer to some spot....like you could have coords listed in your description that say "turn right here"??

That is a possibility, but remember that your coords are likely to be off some and the searcher's unit will also have a degree of inaccuracy, so your "turn here" might be 50 feet from where the searcher actually turns.

One option is to use letterboxing like clues or waypoint projection for certain stages. For example have the coordinates bring the searcher to a sign. From that sign tell the searcher to project a waypoint 150 feet at 145 degrees, or walk 100 paces at 260 degrees to another object, or a physical cache stage.

But my advice is to suggest a route and leave it to the cachers to decide if they are going to follow it. In general you can't micro manage their experience and I don't think you should try. If they want to shortcut it, view it as their loss.

When setting up the stages of a multicache, the stages can be one of various types. "stages of a multicache" are subject to the .1m sat rule, whereas for "question to answer" the saturation limits do not apply. One needs to go the "question to answer" route when there are saturation problems.