GPSMAP 60CSx

I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.

When searching for a geocache and walking towars the cache the distance to the cache will decrease but the red arrow on the compass page seems to be acting irratic.

It's a new unit...have I missed doing something ?

Thanks,

Paul

All of these electronic compasses require being recalibrated whenever batteries are changed out or you experience any erratic pointing. Have you tried the compass calibration?

Edited by Ratsneve

There's probably nothing wrong with the unit and nothing you missed. A consumer grade gpsr isn't perfect and it's normal for the arrow to move around a bit, especially when you get close to ground zero. You'll get used to this and find that you probably won't even notice it much as you gain experience.

One thing that might help,,, On a steady approach to a cache, follow the arrow and at around 50 feet or so out from ground zero, look ahead and guesstimate where the unit is gonna end up taking you. Doing this definitely helps me and many times i'll end up spotting the likely hiding place before i even get close.

Also, i would turn the compass off when searching for a routine, straightforward type cache...

By default the 60CSx turns on the compass whenever you are below a certain speed for a certain amount of time. I don't remember what the original settings are, but they are much too "aggressive" for common usage. If you are walking towards the cache you are much better having the compass off and allowing the satellites to plot your direction of travel.

To change the settings:

Main Menu page -> Setup -> Heading

I dropped mine so that the compass will only turn itself on if I am moving at less than 3km/h for more than 15 seconds. This has eliminated a lot of my "arrow wandering" issues when walking towards a cache.

I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.

When searching for a geocache and walking towars the cache the distance to the cache will decrease but the red arrow on the compass page seems to be acting irratic.

It's a new unit...have I missed doing something ?

Thanks,

Paul

Calibrate the compass (once every day you use it).

Make sure you're no longer doing on-road navigation.

Hold it level. Make sure the "hold level" message goes out.

Make sure it's actually turned on (look for the icon at the top)

Make sure you're set to bearing navigation, not course navigation.

Once you get within the zone of error, it's normal for the arrow to jump around. If you were to use the GPS's bearing readings, and shoot them with a magnetic compass, and were able to do it 30 times a minute, you would notice the exact same behavior with the magnetic compass.

Edited by Prime Suspect