Coordinates checker for Cache Owners

antieuclid

I'm still a newbie, but I've been working on hiding my first cache, and I've been having problems finding a spot for it because there are a couple of mystery and multi caches in the neighborhood. Instead of having to move the cache and try again each time, it would be nice if I could input the coordinates and find out then and there whether it was far enough away from other caches. Especially because some of the caches I need to maintain a distance from are disabled because the container's gone, so I can't just complete all the local caches to find out where they are.

It's probably not going to happen. This has been discussed many times in different threads. It would make it too easy for people to find puzzle finals without doing them.

On a side note, if the caches that have stages missing have been disabled for a long time, you can post a "Should Be Archived" note saying that the owner is not maintaining them. The reviewer will try to contact the owner about it. If, after some time passes, they're not repaired, they will get archived.

Obviously, you'd only want to do this if it looks like they're never going to be repaired and not to get them archived just so you can "take over the area" and place caches there. I'm sure that's not the case, but anything's possible.

Here's a link to the subject you mentioned that may help.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=199973

Edited by Skippermark

I 100% agree this would be a useful feature.

As I have said before, if someone wants to solve my puzzles caches by abusing this feature they would be free to do so. I still think if you limit each person to a certain number of "checks" per day a lot of the puzzle solving "issue" would go away.

Well, as has been said, this has been the subject of many, many threads and the end result is always the same. Ain't gonna happen. Mostly because of the few "cheaters" (other people's term) out there that ruin things for everyone else.

The recommended approach to resolving your dilemma is to contact your local reviewer. Most are more than happy to assist you in finding an acceptable spot for your cache.

Here's another idea. :( Contact the owner of the cache you think is close, tell them wherel you would like to place your new cache. :D Ask them if this is within the range limit. If not go for it, :D if so try a new spot. :huh: Woolsox

There are caches in the Toronto area where stages are over 10 km apart. Not always possible to know who might own the cache/stage in question.