Garmin etrex HC for Mac?

The description pretty much says it all. I am new to geocaching and so far have been using my iPhone 3G, which works amazingly well, and better than I ever could have hoped for. My only concern with it is the battery life consumed when out in the field. Therefore I have been looking at some good cheap GPSr systems to take the place, but still something jiust for beginners, as I don't want to spend 4 or 5 hundred dollers only to give it up in a month or two. The only thing I am worried about is that I have a mac (no PCs, won't touch one), and I have not read anything about this GPS being Mac compatible. Sorry if this is a repeat question. Thanks a lot.

-Telp

Same scenario with the iPhone 3G here. Went ahead and ordered the Garmin eTrex Venture HC yesterday based on the information from Garmin's site:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

We'll see how well the Mac software works with the unit once it arrives in a week or so...

Thats good to hearm thanks for the link. If you don't mind, just post back here with the verdict. Best of luck to you.

-Telp

Edited by TheDeadWalk

I've been using a Legend Hcx for a few months and only use a mac also (imac and macbook) and have had pretty good luck loading maps onto the Garmin. The base map they include only shows main hwys, so it's not great at all for nav, but I downloaded some free maps from ibycus (check the forums here) and they are pretty good. I use Garmins mapsource, map manager and Bobcat to handle the computer to GPS stuff. Bobcat has been good/bad-it's in beta, so it always wants to check for updates, and sometimes they don't download right, or won't open....so that has been a hurdle of sorts.

As you've read, Garmin has Mac software.

I'd have a hard time recommending the yellow one. The Venture HC isn't much more expensive, and has mapping capabilities along with a color screen and geocaching mode. For a bit more, I've recommended the Legend HCx to people.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Venture (and Legend) also have a USB interface. Not having to buy a USB to Serial converter to run the unit on your Mac pretty much makes up for the $30 or so difference in (street) price, making the venture a wash price-wise with added capability.

Edited by andylphoto