New cart not working on Colorado

dgreno

My new Wherigo ("Pioneer POV") doesn't work on the Colorado and I can't see why. I got a call from local Wherigo hunter forman last night from the cache site with his Colorado. I drove over and verified that it was not behaving correctly.

This is a much simpler cart than my "Facial Recognition" cart which worked perfectly the first time I tried it on both Colorado and PocketPC. I've re-read all of the forum posts and didn't see anything that might apply to this situation.

Here's what's happening. After some preliminary screens and pictures, the user is led to the hilltop cemetery in the park and dropped into the Task screen which displays seven tasks ("Find Clue A" through "Find Clue G"). This all works correctly on both the Colorado and my PocketPC.

At this point (on the Colorado) things stop working correctly.

Here's what is supposed to happen. When the user clicks on one of the tasks ("Find Clue A" for example) they are supposed to see a picture. Then when they click the "Next" button, they will see a second picture. When they click "Next" again, the will be presented with a data input screen to answer a simple question.

The underlying code is super-simple: It is triggered by the "When a play clicks on this task" event and leads to a "Show a message to the player" action that displays the first picture and the "Next" button. Button script on the "Next" button leads to another "Show a message" with a picture and another "Next" button. The button script on this final "Next" button leads to a "GetInput" action.

On the Colorado, when the task is clicked they are sent to a blank screen with the label "Find Clue A" at the top. The program is not hung, they can use the "back" menu to get back to the program, but they are not presented with the pictures or the question.

That's it. Basically the same code with different pictures exists on all seven buttons.

There's no emulator check or wacky code in this one.

To try this on a Colorado, hit the "play" button and then just ignore everything else and navigate to the "Tasks" screen and try hitting one of the buttons and let me know what happens.

Any help appreciated.

Well can someone at Groundspeak hammer on Garmin to get this fixed sooner than the last firmware update? That was long in coming. Maybe they could fix the other stuff to.

BTW, I did part of the Facial Recognition Wherigo, another one of Dave's last night and it worked.

My reply from Garmin Support over the Wherigo Player issue:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Right now there has not been an eta on an upcomming patch to fix this

issue, that has been communicated by the enigneers. I would suggest to

download the webupdater tool. The webupdater tool is designed to keep

the firmware in the device current. If the firmware in your device is

not current, you may experience the issues that you are having until the

firmware has been updated to the most current version. I would suggest

saving the download to your desktop and running the software update from

your desktop with your device plugged into the computer and turned on.

Please view the download instructions and system requirements located at

the very bottom of the link that you click on before pressing the

download option. Below I have provided three different webupdater

downloads. One is for Macintosh users, one for PC users using Windows

XP or higher, and one the Legacy users using anything prior to windows

XP, the older systems such as Windows 2000.

Which, if I'm reading between the lines correctly means, "we'll get back to you on that". :yikes:

Nothing helpful to add here - a note that some users attempting my Quercus cart with a new Oregon couldn't get out of the parking (surely the firmware in the brand new unit is current). Same issue with a screen> click ok> next screen >click ok> to locations screen and a new active zone. As soon as they clicked okay their unit SHUT DOWN. Slick, huh? They'd driven a long way to MEFF the thing and make it find #4000. No joy.

No one has tried it with a Colorado. Three different Pocket PCs have had no trouble.

My first cart was simple, this one is even simpler (can readily be spoofed in the emulator, which is okay by me).

Re Garmin and a fix, I read the same thing between the lines, no eta on a patch.....don't hold yer breathe

I tried to find an 2.5 version of firmware but had no luck. Any help here?

I did not get a direct answer to this from Garmin Support. I suspect that they have deleted it off the site to reduce confusion, and to be quite frank, many of the long anticipated enhancements in v. 2.6 are probably more important than the Player to Garmin and the majority of CO users. Unless someone has a copy stored on their computer somewher, I think we're out of luck.

Just for the fun of it, I was thinking of putting together a *Minefield* type of Cartridge just to enhance the awareness to the various issues with the CO Player, but unfortunately it appears that the Wherigo Dev team disabled the Play Anywhere option in the most recent Builder :D

Edit to add:

Actually in my fantasy world, I wouldn't leave this up to the vagaries of Garmin developers, but would have the Player built as a plug-in (e.g. like an iPhone app) that Groundspeak would be responsible for. I suspect the problem would be fixed relatively quickly by the Wherigo Team.

Edited by Touchstone
I tried to find an 2.5 version of firmware but had no luck. Any help here?

Unless someone has a copy stored on their computer somewher, I think we're out of luck.

Oh, yes, I have this. I have firmware versions 2.3, 2.51b, 2.54b, and 2.6, the current version. I'm uploading them to my Wherigo archive site at this moment. At the moment I'm at the airport using my cell phone to get online, so I'll have to upload it later tonight, EST.

Just for the fun of it, I was thinking of putting together a *Minefield* type of Cartridge just to enhance the awareness to the various issues with the CO Player, but unfortunately it appears that the Wherigo Dev team disabled the Play Anywhere option in the most recent Builder :)

Hmm... That might be interesting to do. I'm trying to think how I would accomplish this and make it fun (otherwise than telling people "step carefully").

You can edit the Play Anywhere settings in the lua file. I haven't tested if it would hold.

Actually in my fantasy world, I wouldn't leave this up to the vagaries of Garmin developers, but would have the Player built as a plug-in (e.g. like an iPhone app) that Groundspeak would be responsible for. I suspect the problem would be fixed relatively quickly by the Wherigo Team.

I'd love that. I'd also love to create an application for Garmin GPS receivers. You know, to make a proper geocaching interface.

I rebuilt my cart (Quercus) in the old builder, just substituting the zone coords for some in a friends front yard and down his street. Friend owns a Colorado, he's the cacher whose Garmin shut down on screen one of the cart as built in the most current builder. Like dgreno's cart, it had an "okay" button. It appears to me that since the latest builder update, any input asked from a Garmin user has shut down the Garmin.

The identical cart, built in the old builder, works perfectly.

I've uninstalled the most current builder, back to using the older one; will rebuild my cart in the old builder and update so it works with Colorado (and Oregon?).