Garmin eTrex H and inputting GPS cordinates

Lucantoni

Yes. While I don't have this model typically Garmin's allow you to do this by creating a waypoint then editing the coordinates.

I am asking anyone.... i just bought a tomtom and am new to caching (finding several w/o a GPS). Question: Do I manually put in my coordinates from home with coord's listed on the cache page or do i do it from the parking site of the cache...?? it may sound stupid..... also i see the quetion above on this forum about using your computer?? i have went to FAQ's and cannot find this answer. HEPl meif u can.

TY

Hey,

Im thinking of buying a Garmin eTrex H... because its cheap and all i need. But the question is that is it possible to enter the target GPS coordinates manually if I dont have the chance to connect it to a computer?

I have the eTrex H and yes, it is entirely possible to enter the coordinates manually. With that said, it starts to get annoying when entering in several cache locations (not sure if other units have a quicker way of manually entering) so I finally broke down and purchased a data cable for it.

One question I do have, if anyone knows, is this:

Is there some software that will allow me to add custom waypoints/names to my eTrex H? The reason I ask is because I like to use custom titles for my waypoints, as I like to use the title to incorporate cache size and maybe a hint. If I use the "send to GPS" button, I can't seem to modify the cache title any and get something like "GC14468K" which really doesn't mean much to me when I'm out searching. If I could tell it to send a waypoint with title "Log1" I'd know to look by a log and it's a micro (I use 1 for micro, 2 for small, etc).

For now, I'm manually altering the title at the time of sending it to my Garmin. However, it would be great if I could do it on the computer and send it to my Garmin eTrexH the way I want it to read when I'm ou searching.

Edit: Nevermind... A bit of searching on geocaching.com and i found EasyGPS which looks like it will do everything I was looking for.

Edited by wilsonc97

Yes. While I don't have this model typically Garmin's allow you to do this by creating a waypoint then editing the coordinates.

I am asking anyone.... i just bought a tomtom and am new to caching (finding several w/o a GPS). Question: Do I manually put in my coordinates from home with coord's listed on the cache page or do i do it from the parking site of the cache...?? it may sound stupid..... also i see the quetion above on this forum about using your computer?? i have went to FAQ's and cannot find this answer. HEPl meif u can.

TY

you can put the coords in from wherever you want too, home, car, parkinglot, etc. if you have a cable you can send coords to your gps without having to manually punch them in (not sure about the tomtom).