Explorist 500 le

Czil

Hi all

I just bought a Explorist 500le for $179.00 Canadian. So far I think I like it (its replacing a Magellan 315 so anything would look good). Any how is this a good unit? Should I be keeping it? Is there any general comments? I understand this model was discontinued is this a real problem? Dose this Gps have WASS, I'm sure i dose but how do I know for sure and is there an option to turn it on and off the reason I'm asking is I'm usually in the accuracy range of 30 to 60 feet sometimes higher, only once I got to 26 feet. Also for Geocaching dose it pay to buy the topo maps for they are quite pricey I see. Is Mapsend the only way to get maps on it and could a person get city and more detailed highway maps like grid roads, I got a Garmin 250w so I really don't need this just curious.

TIA for your time and comments!!!

It's a good model. Most of your questions are covered in this review I helped with when the 500 first came out.

I would recommend you get the Li-Ion battery off eBay (specific search criterion listed in the review). You will get a longer run time and find it more convenient, I think, than the AAAs.

WAAS may be a problem. I forget what the deal was exactly, but there was a window in time where the Explorist had to be operative to get some sort of data to maintain WAAS capability (there's a thread on it somewhere in this forum). Since your device probably wasn't on at that time, and since there won't be any more firmware updates, you're screwed on that count.

The lack of support generally won't be a problem as long as you don't need it. :) (FWIW, I never had a lick of trouble with my 500 while I owned it).

Last thing: detail maps are a big plus. Use your 500 without 'em for a little while to see how you like the unit, and to ensure that it's functioning properly. But think about getting some version of MapSend for your 500 down the road. Topo3D should have most all the road data (at least it does in US) if a little bit dated.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=193295

EDIT: If WAAS does prove to be a issue for you call Magellan, complain that this was not explained to you at the time of sale and insist on a WAAS capable replacement. You should end up with a Triton 400 or 500.

Im a newbie of sorts who has an Explorist 210 and bought an Explorist 500LE yesterday. I turned them on at the same time and the 210 had a lock on 11 sats within 1 minute while the 500LE only had 3. I waited and waited but 3 is all it had. I dont know the reason but the battery life (with 3 AAA's) was only 6 hours. I'm returning the 500LE today and maybe I will check out the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx that I guess is really good. I hope that helps somewhat.

You have a Garmin Nuvi 250w so it would make sense to stick with Garmin products if you are going to be buying any detailed maps. Take the 500LE back and get something like the eTrex Legend HCX.

You'll be much happier in the end, especially if there is any chance you would get a Triton as a replacement. Wouldn't wish that product line (or Magellan support) on my worst enemy!

Im a newbie of sorts who has an Explorist 210 and bought an Explorist 500LE yesterday. I turned them on at the same time and the 210 had a lock on 11 sats within 1 minute while the 500LE only had 3. I waited and waited but 3 is all it had. I dont know the reason but the battery life (with 3 AAA's) was only 6 hours. I'm returning the 500LE today and maybe I will check out the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx that I guess is really good. I hope that helps somewhat.

If the 500 had not had a recent lock and was far from the last position it held, it could take 15 minutes or more to get that first lock. This is normal for a new GPS. Sometimes they have a feature to estimate their current position, which can speed up the initial acquisition.

Thanks for all the comments, its really appreciated!!!

So now I'm thinking for taking it back and getting the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. It really dose sound like a better unit. Dose it come with topo maps? All i can find in my research is "base map". Are the maps as expensive as the Magellans? Its considerably more money, best I can find locally is $299.99. But I figure I'll have it for a long time, rite. Dose it come with good documentation? I found that the Explorist 500 was a little skimpy with the manual. Or I'll be back here bugging ya all again LOL. Oh also dose it have a 3 pointer (hope thats the rite term) compass and what exactly is it? I hear its a real plus for geocaching. Again

Thanks for all your input as I leave for Alberta on holidays next weekend and I'll need to make up my mind before this weekend so I can pick it up, or not :(

Try these guys.... http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-etrex-le...etrexleghcx.htm They have a store in Calgary and generally have the best prices/service in Canada. This way you can skip the Saskatchewan PST and get it now.

Try these free Topo maps (very good) before you pay for the Garmin Canada Topo as they are not very good for the money.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

Legend HCx is a great GPSr. You will enjoy it.

Edited by ryleyinstl

Try these guys.... http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-etrex-le...etrexleghcx.htm They have a store in Calgary and generally have the best prices/service in Canada. This way you can skip the Saskatchewan PST and get it now.

Try these free Topo maps (very good) before you pay for the Garmin Canada Topo as they are not very good for the money.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

Legend HCx is a great GPSr. You will enjoy it.

Well I returned the Etrex and got the Garmin Legend Hcx. This thing is awesome I'm getting a signal in my basement (my cell and radios don't even work down here) .

Special thanks to ryleyinstl for putting me onto GPSCITY.ca. They had awesome prices unfortunately I couldn't wait for the shipping but I was able to take advantageof Best Buys best price guarantee. Defantly be buying accessories there soon.

But anyway Thanks for all the help I could have researched it on the net all I wanted but user reviews and help from real users like yourself are priceless. This will be my last post in this thread. Keep eyes open for one about the Legend HCx LOL LOL.