Another old cup type USC&GS disk

Mega Scooter

MegaScooter,

Mary is a very interesting looking benchmark. Thanks for sharing. Did you have to use your metal detector to find it?

Also, I see that people logged a find for Mary in 2006. Does that mean it was covered with 11 inches of dirt in 2 years?

-- TillaMurphs

I tried using a metal detector and a probe on the first attempt. But neither would penetrate the crushed stone. Also, there are a lot of metal artifacts and the ground was far too hard to dig up everything. So I took a lesson that I learned here in the Forums. (What a gold mine for Benchmarking knowledge.) I acquired the best compass I could afford, with an adjustment for declination and mounted it on an aluminum and plastic tripod. Malnut and I stretched string along the azimuths from the box score. We made all the measurements we could find to make and left a mark for each one. We ended up with an ellipsis shaped area about one by two feet. Then we started digging. The sod over the mark makes it clear that the ground hadn’t been disturbed in the last five or ten years or more.

MS

I'm beginning to believe that triangulation stations are harder to find than plain old benchmarks.... :blink:

Even with reference marks, they're difficult at times.

That being said, I'd like to say...

Fantastic Recovery!

~ Mitch ~

Thanks Difficult Run,

MARY was not an easy mark. But I have to say, the pure joy of brushing off the last of that dirt, followed by an almost sinful sense of pride, makes me think that this Benchmarking stuff might be addictive.

—M S

Excellent find and excellent photo! This photo ties with a bench mark as the oldest photos of a USC&GS disk that I have seen.

There are actually 4 variations of this old "cup" style of USC&GS disk. One had a large scribed "+" on the central flat area, one had a medium sized "+" in the central flat area (yours), one had a triangle on the central flat area, and the last had none of the above (the one found has a center-punched small hole near the center.

GeorgeL

NGS

Excellent find and excellent photo! This photo ties with a bench mark as the oldest photos of a USC&GS disk that I have seen.

There are actually 4 variations of this old "cup" style of USC&GS disk. One had a large scribed "+" on the central flat area, one had a medium sized "+" in the central flat area (yours), one had a triangle on the central flat area, and the last had none of the above (the one found has a center-punched small hole near the center.

GeorgeL

NGS

Thank you,

I found one other like this in MAY RD1700

The photo isn't as good. I think that the "+" was put on when it was stamped.

Here is YAM 1903 I don't guess I'll ever see another. Nobody's THAT lucky.

130687bb-e04f-47c3-bb80-bdb23d97732a.jpg

Enyoy