Oregon -How to enter co-ord's manually?

I just received my new oregon today - prior to this I used my car's Nuvi 360 (which was great but just not accurate enough). On my NUVI unit I could input the actual co-ordinates. My question if anyone knows the answer is how do I manually input N & W co-ordinates on the Oregon? I have set it up to download from my computer but it is not uncommon to be out during the day and I can access geocaching.com from my blackberry to get caches close to where I am that I did not download. I did not purhase any additional maps is that the problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Witch hazel

I just received my new oregon today - prior to this I used my car's Nuvi 360 (which was great but just not accurate enough). On my NUVI unit I could input the actual co-ordinates. My question if anyone knows the answer is how do I manually input N & W co-ordinates on the Oregon? I have set it up to download from my computer but it is not uncommon to be out during the day and I can access geocaching.com from my blackberry to get caches close to where I am that I did not download. I did not purhase any additional maps is that the problem?

Witch hazel

On the main menu, there should be a button labeled "Mark Waypoint". What that will do is create a new waypoint at your current location. Then you can turn around and immediately edit it, changing the location of the waypoint to what you want it to be (be aware that editing the coordinates isn't the most intuitive thing in the world on the Oregon).

I should note, however, that Geocaching on the Oregon is intended to be done completely different than on some of the older Garmin GPS units. Using the "Send to GPS" feature on geocaching.com, the Oregon will save the entire GPX file - position, terrain/size info, description, and recent logs (much of this is only if you're a premium user of the site) - onto the unit. Then you use the geocaching mode built-in to review the cache, and eventually mark it found/not found, adding notes that can be reviewed/uploaded later. It's not based solely on waypoints, like some of the earlier models used.

The Geocaching mode on the Oregon looks to be very feature-rich, compared to the eTrex that I was using before (though I haven't even had my Oregon for a week, and haven't yet done any geocaching with it). The layout of some of the options appears to be sorta kludgy, as noted on the Garmin Oregon Wiki, but I'm sure that with a couple of software updates, it'll be much improved. :anitongue:

Edited by virgiliomi

Witch hazel

On the main menu, there should be a button labeled "Mark Waypoint". What that will do is create a new waypoint at your current location. Then you can turn around and immediately edit it, changing the location of the waypoint to what you want it to be (be aware that editing the coordinates isn't the most intuitive thing in the world on the Oregon).

I should note, however, that Geocaching on the Oregon is intended to be done completely different than on some of the older Garmin GPS units. Using the "Send to GPS" feature on geocaching.com, the Oregon will save the entire GPX file - position, terrain/size info, description, and recent logs (much of this is only if you're a premium user of the site) - onto the unit. Then you use the geocaching mode built-in to review the cache, and eventually mark it found/not found, adding notes that can be reviewed/uploaded later. It's not based solely on waypoints, like some of the earlier models used.

The Geocaching mode on the Oregon looks to be very feature-rich, compared to the eTrex that I was using before (though I haven't even had my Oregon for a week, and haven't yet done any geocaching with it). The layout of some of the options appears to be sorta kludgy, as noted on the Garmin Oregon Wiki, but I'm sure that with a couple of software updates, it'll be much improved. :laughing: