TB help

sjcuk13

So I am sposed to keep hold of the copy but it doesn't matter too much if it did acsadently go into a cash.

Thanks for the link I have been looking for an answer to the question for about a hour now I think that is the only page I manage to miss :mad: thanks for the help

So I am sposed to keep hold of the copy but it doesn't matter too much if it did acsadently go into a cash.

Thanks for the link I have been looking for an answer to the question for about a hour now I think that is the only page I manage to miss :mad: thanks for the help

Yes keep the copy tag.

If your travel bug is confirmed as lost from a destroyed or muggled cache, or if it's been missing for several months, you can re-release your bug using the copy tag.

However if the lost travel bug shows up later you would have to remove one or the other from circulation.

You cannot intentionally release more than one travel bug with the same tracking number. If you do, you run the risk of having your TB locked permanently.

Edited by BlueDeuce
You cannot intentionally release more than one travel bug with the same tracking number. If you do, you run the risk of having your TB locked permanently.

That's interesting since I picked up a TB a while back that apparently has the same number as at least one and maybe up to three others. The tag attached to the one I found was not a regular TB dog tag but a metal tag with the number engraved upon it. It was out of Europe. The rough translation of the TB page made it seem as if all were released on purpose to create a bit of confusion.

That's interesting since I picked up a TB a while back that apparently has the same number as at least one and maybe up to three others. The tag attached to the one I found was not a regular TB dog tag but a metal tag with the number engraved upon it. It was out of Europe. The rough translation of the TB page made it seem as if all were released on purpose to create a bit of confusion.

It happens. Not everyone is aware of the guidelines.

Edited to note that it wouldn't be much fun to waste your time trying to log the bug you have in hand while others are grabbing it away to log the one they have in hand.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It happens. Not everyone is aware of the guidelines.

Edited to note that it wouldn't be much fun to waste your time trying to log the bug you have in hand while others are grabbing it away to log the one they have in hand.

That is correct. It wasn't much fun. I grabbed it and managed to get it placed quickly before someone grabbed it from me. The next one to pick up the stateside version wasn't so lucky. I was glad to be rid of that one! :mad:

It's been quite a while since I ordered travel bug dog tags, and I have ordered more than one set at different times, so things changed between the orders. On the last set that I received, the COPY tag had the chain attached while the ORIGINAL tag was tucked safely in a small zip lock bag. I scratched my head at this and reconsidered what I "thought" was how things worked.

Considering how often both caches and travel bugs come missing, it makes a lot of sense to send your traveler out with the COPY tag originally. This allows you to have the actual tag in my possession. One could always mention on the associated page that the "Copy" tag was released on such-and-such a date. No mention of the original eliminates confusion as to "Oh, was this travel bug a replacement? Was it lost in the past?" Then, if at some later date, if the COPY was lost, one could re-release the travel bug (assuming you had another traveler) with the ORIGINAL tag.

Does it matter? Not much. I think the main reason they go to the trouble of printing COPY on the additional tag is to eliminate the mindset that would release both at the same time. Given enough people (more than one, generally) different outcomes are possible.

I think I prefer to send out the COPY tag for the above mentioned reasons. One additional reason: What if you get tired of the travel bug concept, have the original and with to gift it or sell it? You simply collect the original or verify it missing, delete all the information on the travel bug page, and "gift" or "sell" to your hearts content!

strange way of thinking imo.

send out the real thing. the copy is just that : a copy.

-//- You simply collect the original or verify it missing, delete all the information on the travel bug page, and "gift" or "sell" to your hearts content!

so you delete all the efforts all those other cachers have done FOR YOU so you can flog it?

if yer fed up :laughing: with the TB concept then let someone ADOPT the TB including all the stories!,

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Edited by Guinness70