Firefox waypoint download problem

Gewitty

I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user for quite some time now and find that pretty much everything I used to (try) and do in Windows can be done at least as well and for a lot less outlay than when I was stuck with MS.

However, one thing that does still defeat me is the ability to download waypoint data directly from the site to my Garmin HCx, When I try to do this, I get a pop-up window that tells me that Garmin doesn't support my browser, which is Firefox.

This seems pretty daft to me, given the popularity of Firefox, so I'm wondering if anyone else has confronted the issue and come up with a solution. Or is the Evil Empire going to win this one :)

I'm a Linux (Ubuntu) user for quite some time now and find that pretty much everything I used to (try) and do in Windows can be done at least as well and for a lot less outlay than when I was stuck with MS.

However, one thing that does still defeat me is the ability to download waypoint data directly from the site to my Garmin HCx, When I try to do this, I get a pop-up window that tells me that Garmin doesn't support my browser, which is Firefox.

This seems pretty daft to me, given the popularity of Firefox, so I'm wondering if anyone else has confronted the issue and come up with a solution. Or is the Evil Empire going to win this one :)

Your facts are a bit off. It works fine with Firefox, and Garmin says so on their website. It's the Communicator Plug-in that's Windows Only.

This seems pretty daft to me, given the popularity of Firefox, so I'm wondering if anyone else has confronted the issue and come up with a solution. Or is the Evil Empire going to win this one :lol:

Your facts are a bit off. It works fine with Firefox, and Garmin says so on their website. It's the Communicator Plug-in that's Windows Only.

The facts are essentially correct. It may have been my original description of the problem that was not clear.

It is not possible to use the Communicator Plugin for Firefox when running a Linux OS. The plug-in is only available for Windows or Mac OS's.

With Linux commanding a very very small chunk of the market it’s doubtful that Garmin will be supporting it anytime soon.

Hmm. Keep an eye on the statistics and demographics for Linux uptake. It's user base is growing at a remarkable rate.

Given the enquiring minds and innovative nature of geocachers, I would be interested to see just how many already use Linux as opposed to Windows.

Maybe there's a case for a poll here!