garmin communicator

I have the etrex H and have downloaded garmin communicator, have the cable with the 9 pin plug and have the cable that converts it to usb. On the test page it says cummincator working but no device found, I downloaded the usb drivers and during the installation at the point where I turn on my gps it never detects new hardware.. I dont know what else to do, any help appreciated. ;)

I have the etrex H and have downloaded garmin communicator, have the cable with the 9 pin plug and have the cable that converts it to usb. On the test page it says cummincator working but no device found, I downloaded the usb drivers and during the installation at the point where I turn on my gps it never detects new hardware.. I dont know what else to do, any help appreciated. ;)

I don't see any mention of drivers/software for the usb to serial (DB9) adapter so, I'd probably start there. The adapters I've encountered from Blackbox and Keyspan have all required drivers before they would function.

If that's not the case then it may be that the port created for the adapter is not configured properly for the Garmin by default. The port setting can be tweaked in device manager under the ports section. I can't say what they should be. Hope that helps.

I have a USB to parallel adapter and all I did was plug it in and the computer detected it. However I have had some issues in the past where it would not detect the printer connected to it. Sometimes I would have to reboot to get the thing to work again. I have had several weird instances using it. I honestly don't think the USB to port adapters are that reliable and sometimes can cause strange results. You might want to get a serial 9 pin card to install in your computer like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815166003

I have a USB to parallel adapter and all I did was plug it in and the computer detected it. However I have had some issues in the past where it would not detect the printer connected to it. Sometimes I would have to reboot to get the thing to work again. I have had several weird instances using it. I honestly don't think the USB to port adapters are that reliable and sometimes can cause strange results. You might want to get a serial 9 pin card to install in your computer like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815166003

I have a serial 9 pin plug on my computer, but garmin communicator only works with usb. I have installed the software that came with the cable that goes from 9 pin to usb, I dont know what else to do, if anyone thinks they could help trouble shoot it over the phone I will call, send me the # to s.hatcher@charter.net

I can usually get things like this figured out, but this has me stumped, my computer has six usb slots and I have no idea which com port the usb slot Im using would be.

Oh I get it what you are trying to do now. Garmin Communicator will auto-detect where it is installed. Try all your slots, if it doesn't work then the adapter is the issue and its not broken it just won't communicate. As I said I have experienced it before and sometimes those adapters don't work as promised.

Thx Storm, will go give it a try.

Oh I get it what you are trying to do now. Garmin Communicator will auto-detect where it is installed. Try all your slots, if it doesn't work then the adapter is the issue and its not broken it just won't communicate. As I said I have experienced it before and sometimes those adapters don't work as promised.

Garmin Communicator will work with both USB and a serial COM port. In fact, it found both my serial and USB GPS units, giving me the choice of which GPS to send to.

Start here:

First, turn on your GPS and check the interface setting. It will have to be set to Garmin. Go to the MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE>I/O FORMAT>select GARMIN

Second, plug in your unnamed USB to Serial adaptor cable into your computer. Did your computer make a sound as it detected the adapter?

If so, go to the Device Manager: Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager>Ports (COM & LPT)>and see if a COM port is listed. If so, unplug your adapter and see which COM port vaporizes. That's the Com port you GPS will be on. Plug it back in and plug your GPS into the serial cable, the serial cable into the USB adapter.

Port setting for the COM port should be:

Bit's per second:9600 NOTE:you can go higher if you want, this is the speed that will be used.

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

Another thing, I don't know what USB drivers you installed, you don't need the Garmin ones as you don't have a Garmin USB device, it is a serial device. The only USB drivers you will need are the correct ones for your USB to serial interface. Your computer will not detect your GPS when you plug it into the adapter like other USB devices, it will only detect the adapter.

Edited by coggins

Garmin Communicator will work with both USB and a serial COM port. In fact, it found both my serial and USB GPS units, giving me the choice of which GPS to send to.

Start here:

First, turn on your GPS and check the interface setting. It will have to be set to Garmin. Go to the MENU>SETUP>INTERFACE>I/O FORMAT>select GARMIN

Second, plug in your unnamed USB to Serial adaptor cable into your computer. Did your computer make a sound as it detected the adapter?

If so, go to the Device Manager: Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager>Ports (COM & LPT)>and see if a COM port is listed. If so, unplug your adapter and see which COM port vaporizes. That's the Com port you GPS will be on. Plug it back in and plug your GPS into the serial cable, the serial cable into the USB adapter.

Port setting for the COM port should be:

Bit's per second:9600 NOTE:you can go higher if you want, this is the speed that will be used.

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

Another thing, I don't know what USB drivers you installed, you don't need the Garmin ones as you don't have a Garmin USB device, it is a serial device. The only USB drivers you will need are the correct ones for your USB to serial interface. Your computer will not detect your GPS when you plug it into the adapter like other USB devices, it will only detect the adapter.

Yes, did all of the above.. its com3 but when I do the test page this is what I get

Garmin Communicator Plugin Test Page

Communicator Plugin is properly installed and up to date, version 2.6.1.0.

Garmin GPS device is NOT detected. To complete test, connect device and refresh page. If a Garmin device is connected and you're still having problems, download and install the latest Garmin USB drivers.

If you're still having problems and need additional support, see Communicator FAQs.

Yes, did all of the above.. its com3 but when I do the test page this is what I get

Garmin GPS device is NOT detected. To complete test, connect device and refresh page. If a Garmin device is connected and you're still having problems, download and install the latest Garmin USB drivers.

If you're still having problems and need additional support, see Communicator FAQs.

OK, then it looks like it's a setting in your internet browser that is stopping communicator.

Try this, download easygps and see if it will talk with your GPS. If so, then it's in the browser for sure. This will rule out the GPS and interface cables. It works with serial COM ports. Give it a shot, and it it works, provide what browser you are using and we can take it from there.

OK, then it looks like it's a setting in your internet browser that is stopping communicator.

Try this, download easygps and see if it will talk with your GPS. If so, then it's in the browser for sure. This will rule out the GPS and interface cables. It works with serial COM ports. Give it a shot, and it it works, provide what browser you are using and we can take it from there.

I must be doing something wrong, easy gps does not communicate with my gps either. Tried it direct to serial and using the usb.