Vista HCx - Can I view only Custom POIs?

For all of my geocaching life, I have used a Magellan. I finally saw the light and got a Garmin Vista HCx. I have already figured out (with help in the forums) how to get all of the caches in my state loaded as custom POIs onto the SD card (sweet!!). I can see all of them on the screen as I travel along, so if there's one nearby I can grab it. But I also see every school, Rite Aid, gas station, and everything else that's on the basemap. Is there any way to turn off everything but the Custom POIs?

If the Vista HCX is like my 60CX, you can set the distance at which different types of things are viewed. For instance I have my street names set to view at 500'. When geocaching I have my GPS set to 800' so I don't see to much clutter.

Thanks for the info, but I don't think this is the answer. I'm trying to get rid of POIs from Mapsource and just see custom POIs. Since they're both POIs I think I have to view them at the same distance. This would work if we were talking about POIs and waypoints.

There appears to be a disconnect here: "I'm trying to get rid of POIs from Mapsource and just see custom POIs. Since they're both POIs I think I have to view them at the same distance. This would work if we were talking about POIs and waypoints."

Mapsource has POIs that can be turned on or off via Edit > Preferences > Display. However, you don't "see" custom POIs in Mapsource. As you said, you only see waypoints. You only see custom POIs as POIs on a GPS unit.

There appears to be a disconnect here: "I'm trying to get rid of POIs from Mapsource and just see custom POIs. Since they're both POIs I think I have to view them at the same distance. This would work if we were talking about POIs and waypoints."

Mapsource has POIs that can be turned on or off via Edit > Preferences > Display. However, you don't "see" custom POIs in Mapsource. As you said, you only see waypoints. You only see custom POIs as POIs on a GPS unit.

when I turn off the POIs in Mapsource, will it turn them off on the gps? I'm talking about seeing the POIs on the gps in the field.

MapSource stays on your computer. Are you referring perhaps to the City Navigator (or some other type of) detail maps that you might have on your GPS unit?

OK, maybe I'm lost on the terminology - I've only had the unit for 6 days. I loaded City Navigator NT North America onto my Vista HCx. I then tried to load a number of caches and quickly exceeded the waypoint limit.

So then I found information about how to load caches through GSAK and POI Loader and now have all of the caches in Maine that I haven't found (2600+/-) in a custom POI file. I loaded this onto the Vista HCX and can see all of these, but I also see every other POI from the mapping software. Can I pick and choose to see certain types of POIs?