Comparison/Contrast?

Greetings! This is my first post here. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom to wanna-be's like me!

I am completely new to GPS receivers, though have done a fair bit of research and am trying to narrow things a bit.

I have read alot here online through FAQ's, topic/post searches, etc, but believe dialogue with expert users to be the best way to get real information.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, i am planning to use the device for mountineering and setting compass-course points for a navigation class i teach (generally teach compass use, but do teach, on ocassion, navigation without a compass). I've been teaching navigation for a long time and using a GPS would be very helpful in making fast, exact search-points.

Here are things that are important in my selection process:

- good, quality device - i HATE spending my hard-earned $ on junk!!!

- less than $400

- accurate, solid satellite lock (in deep foliage or in canyons)

- used primarily for navigation/positioning not initially geo-caching (likely later, but not now)

- light-weight

- long battery life

- water resistant

- altimeter/barometer

- an electronic compass

- able to get road maps of continental Europe (though i'm from the States)

- USB inferface

- expandable memory

- non-proprietary battery option

I am primarily considering the Garmin Vista HCx, but the DeLorme PN-20 and possibly the PN-40 are strong considerations.

I have read alot about the problems Magellan users experience and so would have to really be convinced about them and am unfamiliar with other brands.

I've read alot here (been lurking for a little while....) and am concerned about the firmware/software problem with the Colorado/Vista/Legend "chips" (i know nothing about electronics, but am very inquisitive and just above plant-life in brain-power so can learn ocassionally!).

Thanks again!

frank

If you have been poking around then you know that the high end GPSMAP/CO/OR/eTrex models will do what you want. As far as software/location drift issues go these things seem to be effecting some people and not others. I can tell you my HCx has been operating great with the latest software/firmware update.

My advice would be to purchase the GPS from a place like REI or MEC (asuming your in North Am.) that will allow you to return it with no questions asked. That way you can try it out and see if it's what you want.

Edited by ryleyinstl

Sure any of those, although Delorme has no maps outside of the USA. One of the big pluses to Garmin is that free maps are available for most of the world.

The other big one to consider is the Garmin 60csx. I like it better for hiking since the receiver works best vertically and it conveniently clips on your pack shoulder strap. It is a bit overpriced, though.

Sure any of those, although Delorme has no maps outside of the USA. One of the big pluses to Garmin is that free maps are available for most of the world.

The other big one to consider is the Garmin 60csx. I like it better for hiking since the receiver works best vertically and it conveniently clips on your pack shoulder strap. It is a bit overpriced, though.

I've have good luck with my latest Colorado, but do agree that the 60CSx is probably the better choice. I have both and the 60CSx is more dependable, waterproof and cheaper.

I've have good luck with my latest Colorado, but do agree that the 60CSx is probably the better choice. I have both and the 60CSx is more dependable, waterproof and cheaper.

I also use the 60CSx and have been very well pleased with it. Yes, it does cost a little more but you almost never see a complaint about it's operation, an occasional person that just doesn't like the shape or prefers the buttons at the top (76CSx) is all you ever see. With the later Etrexes you see quite a bit of users complaining about drift or accuracy and with the Colorado the complaints are off the scale now. If you counted and read every complaint about the CO posted on just this forum (not counting others) the number is so large it makes you wonder how it keeps selling, especially with it's price.

I also use the 60CSx and have been very well pleased with it. Yes, it does cost a little more but you almost never see a complaint about it's operation, an occasional person that just doesn't like the shape or prefers the buttons at the top (76CSx) is all you ever see. With the later Etrexes you see quite a bit of users complaining about drift or accuracy and with the Colorado the complaints are off the scale now. If you counted and read every complaint about the CO posted on just this forum (not counting others) the number is so large it makes you wonder how it keeps selling, especially with it's price.

While I like the smaller size and cost of the eTrex's, I have to agree with you on complaints. In terms of performance, easily the 60/76 family have been virtually complaint free. Whereas the Colorado has been off the chart. So yes, why does it keep selling?

Pity the poor souls who sold their "old obsolete" 60CSx's just to have a new Colorado. :unsure:

While I like the smaller size and cost of the eTrex's, I have to agree with you on complaints. In terms of performance, easily the 60/76 family have been virtually complaint free. Whereas the Colorado has been off the chart. So yes, why does it keep selling?

Pity the poor souls who sold their "old obsolete" 60CSx's just to have a new Colorado. :drama:

:o:ph34r::unsure:

The Colorado IS much nicer than a 60csx...but for what this guy needs there is nothing to be gained for the extra money. I would never go back to the 60 series. I was just showing the guy I sold mine to, how to do some stuff. Man, it is like using a model T.......

I can guarantee that when the 60csx first came out there were just as many complaints. People have such short memories..... And people around hear like to complain.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!

I will be looking longer/harder at the 60CSx. It seemed like a more "serious/hardcore" model, but the sacrifice is pocketability - one that has a pretty high priority. Ultimately, accuracy/dependability take precedence and thats what really counts.

Next things is to be checking prices to see where i can get the most for my $$$. Anyone hear of "thenerds.net"?

Thanks so much!

frank