Garmin Web Store not encrypted!

I was moments away from entering my CC number on the Garmin website to order City Navigator NT 2009 and I noticed that they do not encrypt this transaction at all (or IE was not showing it as such). What is up with that? The myGarmin login is encrypted why not the store? It’s not 1996 anymore.

EDIT: ....this is when trying to buy maps via the maps area by the way.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

Edited by ryleyinstl
Just called Garmin to order. The tech on the phone acknowledged the issue and said that the website is, and I quote, retarded.

Thanks for posting this, I needed a good laugh. :laughing:

The "Checkout page" and subsequent pages are though, which is when any sensitive information might be entered.

The "Checkout page" and subsequent pages are though, which is when any sensitive information might be entered.

You would think it should be.....however that is not the case. It seems the map store and the accessories store (which does have encryption) operate independently from each other (look quite different as well).

I reported this to Garmin yesterday when I bought my map DVD and they confirmed it (see above). Just thought people should know about it before plugging in your CC number.

Edited by ryleyinstl

Can someone explain what this has to do with this site? It seems like this is an issue to report to Garmin.

I don't think it has to do with this site... but surely, as a potential buyer of "GPS and Technology," which might be bought through the Garmin store, I appreciated knowing it!

I just received an e-mail from Garmin support regarding the issue (my original compliant to them yesterday was via e-mail).

According to Andrew at Garmin all is now well. Additionally, if asked if you "want to display the non-secure items" when checking out of the map web store select "NO." This will insure that everything you are viewing is secure and will allow IE to confirm it as such with the usual lock icon. If not using IE then YMMV.

Edited by ryleyinstl

Are you sure about it not being encrypted???

http://www8.garmin.com/privacy/

What does Garmin do to protect the data I transmit to Garmin’s Online Store?

Garmin's online store, shop.garmin.com, uses industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of personal information such as your name and address, as well as critically sensitive information such as your credit card number. Garmin engages a company that is an industry leader in online security and site verification to ensure the security of Garmin’s site. Garmin's website shop.garmin.com is also registered with site identification authorities so that your browser can confirm Garmin’s identity before any personal information is sent. In addition, Garmin’s secure servers protect this information using advanced firewall technology.

What does Garmin do after it gets an order from me?

Not only does Garmin protect your purchase-related information as it is transmitted to Garmin’s servers, but Garmin also secures the servers themselves to help prevent unauthorized access to the data after it is in Garmin’s hands. Garmin has comprehensive security measures in place to protect its Internet servers, as well as its internal corporate computer resources, from loss, misuse, and alteration. In addition, your credit card and billing information cannot be read as it travels to Garmin’s ordering system.

What can I do to help make sure online shopping works correctly?

To help ensure that these measures are effective in preventing unauthorized access to your private information, you should be aware of the security features available to you through your browser. You should use a security-enabled browser to make purchases at Garmin's online store. Please note: If you do not use a SSL-capable browser, you are at risk for having data intercepted. Garmin will not be responsible for any compromise of data that is intercepted due to the customer's use of an unsecured browser.

Most browsers have the ability to notify you if you change between secure and insecure communications, receive invalid site identification information for the site you are communicating with, or send information over an unsecured connection. Garmin recommends that you enable these browser functions to help ensure that your communications are secure. You can also monitor the URL of the site you are visiting (secure URLs begin with https:// rather than the normal http://), along with the security symbol of your browser (an open or closed padlock in Netscape or a broken or complete key in Internet Explorer) to help identify when you are communicating with a secure server. You can also view the details of the security certificate of the site to which you are connected. Garmin encourages you to use this to check the validity of any site you connect to using secure communications.

Edited by coggins