How To Remove City Navigator NT Oregon From CO 400t?

Before I return my old 400t to Garmin I would like to remove City Navigator NA NT 2009 from the unit's free memory. I'm not certain what file or files (more then one?) comprise this map nor whether it is something better done (and how) from MapSource, nor am I familiar with the file name(s) or extension(s) (yet)?

Surely I have missed reading something about this but where? I've looked through MapSource Help but can't find anything on this subject.

Help. Thank you.

Edited by Ratsneve

Look for a file named gmapsupp.img.

Be aware that since you have unlocked the maps to that unit, you will have to pay for another unlock code to unlock the maps to another unit.

This was a Garmin replacement so I have the new unit already unlocked through Garmin...except it looks like I have to do something still before I can transfer City Navigator to the new 400t. The unit says that the maps do not unlock or something like that.

I compared files on both units and found gmapsupp.img along with I think the same name with a .sum extension. I deleted both off the old unit so City Navigator is gone from there. On the new unit I have the gmapsupp.img again that I transferred but the .sum file or whatever it was called is missing. Perhaps I won't get it until the map is successfully unlocked?

Edited by Ratsneve

You need to call garmin and have them give you a new code.

Garmin is fubar! I called them last Friday...waited 30+ minutes for a tech who couldn't make the transfer so he sent me off to a software tech and another 45+ minute wait. Together we went through the hoopes and unlocked the maps. MyGarmin looks good and MapSource on the PC looks good but this afternoon I got around to actually transferring City Navigator to the new unit. The transfer from and to the new unit worked fine too. BUT...when I fire up the 400t and only at this point does it finally say it cannot unlock the maps.

The last thing I asked the software tech was "Don't I need a new Product Key and he replied emphatically NO...that he transferred the unit serial numbers and a new Product Key was not needed and the unlock map codes in MapSource worked fine too. This map business is so full of crap! All because of the f@#$ing pirates and terrible beta testing on Garmin's part. How did I ever get through stuff like this when I was working? :sad:

I will call Garmin tomorrow.

Edited by Ratsneve

After the usual 30 minute plus wait I got through to a tech who seemed to quickly grasp the problem. I had tried transferring more then one area at the same time. So I transferred only City Navigator NT Oregon and guess what... Before that transfer was finished Garmin's phone switched over to FAX somehow and I got the screeching business until it just went dead. So, the transfer finished and guess what? It worked--no more "can't unlock the maps." I then played around and transferred 9 states at once and they all worked too. I then created a route from Redmond, OR to Coronado, CA which seemed to route just fine. Lastly I cleaned things up and just left OR and WA on the 400t.

I thought of calling Garmin back...for about one second.