GPS devices and Windows Vista

I just bought the Magellan Crossover GPS, which does "almost" everything. For street it is OK as there are very few POI compared to most...but it is OK. For trail I have to spend more money to get TOPO maps for my area...but at least if I go to the US they are already included...but I will need a passport for those soon :rolleyes:

To update the streets...another $80.

My main problem is it update most of the software I need to connect via USB. Magellan support says it is not Vista Compatable. Argh.

So I am thinking of returning this to get a TOM TOM vehicle nav (free map updates) and a separate handhled for geocaching. Does anyone know what handhelds will work with Windows Vista?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think returning your Crossover is probably a good idea. Aside from the issue with Vista, the Crossover has received generally poor reviews from the geocachers I know who have used it. Also Magellan in general has a terrible reputation for customer support.

Most handhelds that I'm aware of will work with Vista. It's not so much the unit, as it is the software that does the communicating with your PC, and most of the major ones (EasyGPS, GSAK, etc...) do work with Vista.

Your idea of two units is a good one. A Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi for the car and an inexpensive hand held like the Garmin Venture HC for the trail.

If you want one works in the vehicle and on the trail pretty well, look at the Garmin Quest or Quest II.

Moving to the appropriate forum

My main problem is it update most of the software I need to connect via USB. Magellan support says it is not Vista Compatable. Argh.

So I am thinking of returning this

No, you got a good GPS. You need to get rid of Vista. :lol:

I have a Magellan Explorist and an old Palm pilot for paperless caching, and my new notebook came with Vista. I had trouble with the Palm software not being supported by Vista, so I found a workaround ... I run VMware Player on my Vista machine. It allows me to install a "Virtual" computer on the desktop onto which I installed Windows XP - no software incompatabilities now! You can find this available free at http://www.vmware.com/products/player/.

Good luck