The world outside U.S.A

GeoTectives

My builder (Earwigo) allows you to put accented characters into cartridges. Currently this is limited to 8-bit ANSI on the Colorado (so you can't have characters like Č, or Cyrillic letters), but on the Pocket PC platform which uses UTF-8 you can have almost any character. (The Colorado can display the Cyrillic alphabet, so I'm just trying to find out what encoding it uses for that.)

Dear All

My first experiences with the latest builder

(creating an own cartridge) gives more frustration than anything else.

Stepping through the tutorial several times to understand some sort of "logic" behind

the system, produces more question- rather than explanationmarks.

Everything begins with setting a simple zone.

Overcoming the first frustration about no present themes and a strange terraserver application

the coordinate-input is funny as well. Set to hours minutes.minutes it doesn't accept a simple

N 50° 11.925 but writes something like 50,199035344534534 11,92 into the fields itself and then complains

in an error message about bad values for latitude...

Also it's impossible to use google maps as this results in a script error what runs in an endless loop.

Having reinstalled all .net and javascript versions all stays the same.

Then finally when cheating somehow to create a zone and set it to active - the next fun begins.

Don't think that it could be so easy to tell a zone: if the player steps into you, simply show a message.

If there is no task defined and various other possible events are defined, such as the zone will be set active if the player hits the proximity zone and then steps into the zone itself, etc. nothing is triggered.

It could be so simple and userfriendly but is programmed so complicated - and finally not designed for outside US anyway (otherwise who knows and thinks about "terraserver" if google is the most used and poular around the globe ?).

All in all it's more fun to generate or setup a real world multi with handcrafted stages or puzzles

rather than suffering from user-unfriendly and bugged applications (ok, nothing is perfect and nobody complains about a bug in software - but such kind of bugs in the basics shouldn't happen in the 21st century).

After having spent now a whole week without any usable result - I decided to wait for an alternative (wysiwyg) builder what follows a repeatable structured logic.

Nevertheless - Happy hunting to everybody and many founds in 2009.

BR,

thueml