Logging Requirements

catsnfish

Still thinking on this subject... This has got to be the hardest part: Coming up with a logging requirement that is meaningful and educational. And I may have to fall back on 'estimate', or 'What does your GPS say the altitude difference is?' Or 'Take a photo of your GPS showing the altitude'. Of course, I'm still in the thought process. I know what I want to show you. And if you read the page, it will be very educational, and interesting. May have to fall back on 'Photo of your GPS', and feel that I have not been challenging enough. <_< Of course, on the back burner, is the truly evil one... But that would be the last one in the series...

My initial thoughts were to have loggers describe the makeup of a core sample from the site. The trouble with that is finding out if one exists and convincing the state that it would be a good display. There is no exposure of the alluvial material at the site and it is a historical/archeological site so no digging is allowed. My next step is to check with the state to see if a core sample exists but Iwas hoping to find a good alternative logging requirement. Placing the EC somewhere else where there is an exposure is not an option in this case.

The site is Lewis and Clark's Council Bluff near Fort Calhoun Ne. A loop of the Missouri river passes with 1.3 miles at the closest and about 4.7 miles east of the bluff. There is a model of the fort in the visitor center showing roughly where the missouri flowed in the early 1800's and I had considered estimating the difference of that with todays river channel position. I would only use that as an alternate logging requirement though as it would only be accessible when the visitors center was open.

I don't know how close this is, but there is an historical marker at Ash Hollow decribing the alluvial fill and it looks like there is good exposure of the cliffs.

From that description, you might have them look at the cliffs and see if they can identify different layers or what kind of material makes up layers in the cliffs. This could be related to sediment transport in rivers.

You can also look at http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcont...xt=natrespapers

Hello all,

I am in the process of developing an Earthcache for an alluvial fill terrace. The site is within a state historical park. Would anyone have suggestions for logging requirements for an Earthcache for this type feature?

What size are the largest clasts? Are they imbricated? If they are pebble size or larger and imbricated, you can state that imbrication indicates flow direction, and ask what direction are they imbricated in?

Edited by shearzone