Marking current location as waypoint on GPSMAP 76CSx

Sometimes when I go to mark my current location as a waypoint by holding down the "Enter" key, it shows my current coordinates being as much as 75 m away from my current location at the bottom of the Mark Waypoint screen. Turning the unit off and then back on solves the problem, but only temporarily.

I'm using software version 3.60 and chipset software version 3.00.

Sometimes when I go to mark my current location as a waypoint by holding down the "Enter" key, it shows my current coordinates being as much as 75 m away from my current location at the bottom of the Mark Waypoint screen. Turning the unit off and then back on solves the problem, but only temporarily.

Just a thought - having "Lock on roads" set might do something like that. I don't particularly like lock on roads so rarely use it, but worth checking to see if you have it set.

Holding down the "Enter" key on a 76CSx invokes the Mark Waypoint function.

It seems to happen after I've had the unit in my pocket for quite a time.

maybe you need to let it settle for a bit when you take it out of your pocket. I might have a hard time maintaining lock while it is in your pocket.

Jim

That's normal if you've been doing on-road navigation. The coordinates are correct, and if you do an off-road GoTo to the point you just created, you'll it's just a few feet away, if no dead-on GZ.

"Mark" makes a waypoint for the current position.

Holding down "Enter" makes a waypoint for the position of the map pointer, which will be different from your current position if it was moved with the arrow keys.

There is no separate "Mark" button on the 76 series. The ENTER button does double duty. Pressing and holding the ENTER button is the correct way to mark a waypoint. If you have panned, it marks the waypoint where the pointer is. Otherwise, it marks it at your current location. Or at least it's supposed to.

I don't recall ever seeing the OP's problem on my unit.

Edited by roybassist

I don't pan the map before marking, I have "lock-on-road" turned off, and when I hold down the "Enter" key, it puts my current coordinates into the new waypoint, as it is supposed to, but the distance and bearing figure at the bottom of the screen starts out saying as much as 85 m from my current location when it should say 0 m.

Holding down the "Enter" key on a 76CSx invokes the Mark Waypoint function.

It seems to happen after I've had the unit in my pocket for quite a time.

maybe you need to let it settle for a bit when you take it out of your pocket. I might have a hard time maintaining lock while it is in your pocket.

Jim

And how long should I let it settle for? Thirty seconds? Should I move around with it while it's getting a full fix to fix this?