What bag do you use to hold all your caching equip ?

Howlingmoon

Ok, I've been caching for about two weeks. I've read several of the threads of everyone listing what they take with them on caching trips/hikes. I have put together several things from those lists. Now I need a hydration compatible pack to hold it all, something that has multiple pockets to organize everything! I just bought an "Andrenaline 593U" pack from Wal-Mart for $30. I brought it home, and proceeded to put everything in it. Not everything fits! :anitongue: My camera definitely won't fit unless I get a smaller protective bag for it. (Don' want it getting smooshed or smacked around!)

I'm trying to put the following things into such a pack:

Five different sized baggies

Extra pens (still need to find mini pencils to add to the pack)

Extra log sheets

Pencil sharpener

First aide kit

Variety of micro/small Cache containers

Compass/whistle/temp combo

Multi-tool

Purell

Camo duct tape, electrical tape, scotch tape

TP

Batteries for camera and flashlight

Pocket knife

Folding scissors

Chopsticks

Tweezers

Floral wire

Super glue

Rubber bands

Sharpie

Trash bag(s) for CITO

Mini notebook

Gloves (hanging outside bag)

2 liter hydration bladder

Flash light

Small swag

CLR style digital camera in camera bag

Thank you for any input on a suitable bag that might fit my needs. Please note, this is not another thread to list what you carry with you on cache trips/hikes. I only need to find a bag to fit everything into. lol

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. It's no longer made, but the Approach 3.0 is essentially the same pack, albeit slightly smaller and with some cosmetic differences. It's a great pack. Very versatile, with numerous storage pockets for organizing your gear. It's big, but not so big it's unmanageable. One nice feature is that it can expand to carry large items if you need it to (see photo of pack with ammo box in above link), but if it isn't carrying a lot it contracts to an average size.

I use mine for geocaching, hiking and doing trail work. I even carry a chainsaw on the pack by slipping the bar through the pass through pocket on the side. It's held up to that kind of abuse quite well.

Edited by briansnat

Looks like an excellent pack but, tis not cheap. lol I will keep it in mind. :anitongue:

If I do end up buying that pack, I want to make sure the waist strap will fit me. The info says: Fits torsos: 18-22” How are they messuring that ? I'm a big woman! lol

Edited by Howlingmoon

Looks like an excellent pack but, tis not cheap. lol I will keep it in mind. :anitongue:

If I do end up buying that pack, I want to make sure the waist strap will fit me. The info says: Fits torsos: 18-22” How are they messuring that ? I'm a big woman! lol

Torso is measured from the small of your back at hip bone level to that big vertebrae at the base of your neck (I think it's called the C3 vertebrae). The one that sticks out a bit.

As far as hip belt, I'm tipping the scales a 225 and it fits me.

Edited by briansnat

I just ordered the Approach 3.0 (in blue). If the hip belt doesn't fit, hopefully I can find some kind of extender that will fit. Was a little more than what I was hoping to spend but, it looks like it will do the job. Now to hurry up and wait for it to get here. lol Thank you for all the suggestions!

I just ordered the Approach 3.0 (in blue). If the hip belt doesn't fit, hopefully I can find some kind of extender that will fit. Was a little more than what I was hoping to spend but, it looks like it will do the job. Now to hurry up and wait for it to get here. lol Thank you for all the suggestions!

It should fit. If not you can get a length of hip belt webbing material from an outdoor store like Campmor and a attach it with a loop lock.