Buying a Garmin 60Csx

skyrat02

I'm looking to buy my first GPS. From what I've read on here the Garmin 60Csx is definitely a favorite.

I know I can get a good price online, but I wanted to go to a retailer and hold it before I bought it. I tried Fry's and Best Buy and neither one had a demo I could look at. I could buy it and return it but then there would be a restocking fee.

Any suggestions for other retailers that might have a demo version?

You could try REI or any other outdoor retailer. If you have a West Marine near you, you could try them too. But personally I would not buy from West Marine because they are very expensive in my opinion. Maybe Walmart might have the hand held available? I purchased my 60 CSx online without trying it before hand, and I have been very happy with it. Good luck!!!

REI definitely has them in stock. The Walmarts near me don't stock handhelds, just nuvis. I don't know where you live, but maybe a Cabelas? Some other upscale hunting/fishing/camping store?

In terms of online retailers, I've always had great experiences with Amazon.

Hey I got my 60CSx from Ebay (America) I'm in Australia. I got quoted $899 at BCF. They are $799 on the Garmin website and I got mine for $385.00. Worth every cent so far. Great GPS. I'm a new member. Good Luck.

Edited by The Bax

Let me also recommend REI. Not only can you hold the GPS'r, but the sales people were very helpful and knowledgable - actually talked me down to a cheaper model when I started (a $100 E-Trex) saying that was all I needed - and they were right, I found 400+ caches with it. I then upgraded to the model you're looking at, REI had for sale online for $349 last year - add the topo chip that includes your state for $90 or so and you're good to go. I have loved the 60CSx. Watch for an online sale, and best of luck!

Let me also recommend REI. Not only can you hold the GPS'r, but the sales people were very helpful and knowledgable - actually talked me down to a cheaper model when I started (a $100 E-Trex) saying that was all I needed - and they were right, I found 400+ caches with it. I then upgraded to the model you're looking at, REI had for sale online for $349 last year - add the topo chip that includes your state for $90 or so and you're good to go. I have loved the 60CSx. Watch for an online sale, and best of luck!

Thanks everyone. I can't believe I didn't think about Gander Mountain, I drive by one all the time.

I will definitely be buying online as their prices are much better than whats in the store. Yay for pricegrabber.com! it hits a ton of online retailers and gives a list of all their prices. :lol:

Sportsman Warehouse is where I checked out my Csx, they even have classes on how to use it.

But I purchased my Csx at WAL-MART.com, best price in the world. You can even have it shipped for free, if they send it to your local Wal-Mart store. I paid way less than $300.00. Also if you pay for it with AMEX, AMEX will double Garmin's warranty.

Amazon is often my supplier of choice for many things.(no shipping & no sales tax) I found mine at NavGuys.com who had it for $287 including shipping (vs Amazon @ $307 including shipping). That was about the 30th of June. However, I just sent a friend back there and the price had raised to $293. Still best price but approaching Amazon. I know what you mean about wanting to see it in your hands, but I'm confident you will like the 60CSx when you get it. I was steered that direction here on the forum and think it made for a sound decision and I haven't been disappointed.