NEWBIE HELP NEEDED

My girlfriend and I JUST started Geocaching about 3 days ago since moving to Hillsboro, OR from Cape Cod, MA.

We have a GPS that we bought, primarily for our road trip out here and to get around the new area easily, from Costco. It's a Magellan Maestro 3225.

One day bored, I suggested to try out this Geocaching stuff - and we were shocked to find out that there were over 500 caches in a 5 mile radius from our home!

Well, so far we've found 5 out of 5 caches (2 of them required a little help from the cache starters once we knew roughly where the final cache was) with this little device and the help of Google Maps Satellite view :P

However, I'm noticing that a unit like this is not ideal for geocaching as it stops detecting movement if you're not going at least 3MPH.

Coupled with the fact that neither of us know how to use a map or compass makes this a bit more challenging - but still immensely fun and a great form of exercise, and a great way to explore the new area and see new sights we never would have expected.

So, I guess I'm asking (knowing well that I will probably be bombarded with a thousand different opinions) what the best handheld GPS is for geocaching for people on a tight budget.

Also, are maps and a compass necessary tools/skills to have when geocaching?

How about books to self-teach? We saw the Idiots Guide to Geocaching at REI today but were unsure if that was the best place to learn... since I never like to consider myself an idiot :P

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris & Amy

My girlfriend and I JUST started Geocaching about 3 days ago since moving to Hillsboro, OR from Cape Cod, MA.

We have a GPS that we bought, primarily for our road trip out here and to get around the new area easily, from Costco. It's a Magellan Maestro 3225.

One day bored, I suggested to try out this Geocaching stuff - and we were shocked to find out that there were over 500 caches in a 5 mile radius from our home!

Well, so far we've found 5 out of 5 caches (2 of them required a little help from the cache starters once we knew roughly where the final cache was) with this little device and the help of Google Maps Satellite view :P

However, I'm noticing that a unit like this is not ideal for geocaching as it stops detecting movement if you're not going at least 3MPH.

Coupled with the fact that neither of us know how to use a map or compass makes this a bit more challenging - but still immensely fun and a great form of exercise, and a great way to explore the new area and see new sights we never would have expected.

So, I guess I'm asking (knowing well that I will probably be bombarded with a thousand different opinions) what the best handheld GPS is for geocaching for people on a tight budget.

Also, are maps and a compass necessary tools/skills to have when geocaching?

How about books to self-teach? We saw the Idiots Guide to Geocaching at REI today but were unsure if that was the best place to learn... since I never like to consider myself an idiot :P

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris & Amy

Hi,

I started caching in April, have 83 finds and have hidden 5 caches, so I'm not an expert. But I'll share my experience. I just bought a little Garmin eTrex Venture HC to use for caching--wanted a sturdy, water resistant unit for that. I already have a Nuvi 350 for driving, which I love, but I was afraid I would damage it as it's really made for the car. (It worked fine for caching, though.) The Nuvi gets me to the area of the cache, and then the Venture HC takes me to the cache, while the Nuvi is left safely in the car.

Since you already have a GPS for driving, the Venture HC might be a good, economical choice for you. It is the basic model that works similar to the top-line eTrex Vista HCx, without the bells and whistles, but with the same good satellite receiver and a color screen. (And it's much less expensive.) The Venture HC does not have a card slot, only 24 mb of internal memory, so you wouldn't be able to load City Navigator or large maps. But with the unit you already have for the car, you wouldn't need those. (Unless you plan to do a lot of wilderness caching, in which case you might want a unit with a card slot to order the Topo maps.) About a week ago, this model was $117, free shipping, at amazon.com. They also had a B/W screen H model, but it doesn't have a USB connector, and it wasn't that much cheaper. After reading a good many reviews and recommendations here, I went with the Venture HC. I like it so far.

If you get an eTrex, be sure to get one with "H" in its name; those are the ones with the newer, better satellite receiver. There are lots of older eTrex models still out there. Apparently they work well, too, but everyone says the new receiver is so much better. C means color screen, and x means card slot, on the eTrex models. On Garmin's site, you can compare models. But amazon has better prices than those listed.

I have only needed a compass on two caches, and the $5 one I got from Wal-Mart worked like a champ! Most caches (at least in my area) don't require the use of a compass. The eTrex has a GPS compass page, not an extra electronic one, but the $5 one works fine for shooting a bearing, etc., if you ever need to do that.

I haven't needed any maps other than the Nuvi's, to get me to the general area. I haven't read any books, either, just browsed the geocaching site and a couple of others. I've cached with a few friends who are a little bit more experienced, and met some new ones, too. There is a learning curve, but it's fun while you learn! Every find teaches you more. Have fun!

I should probably add, I don't do any wilderness caching. But I'm sure you'll get lots more replies, from more experienced cachers of all types.

HTH some, Happy caching! B&F

Edited by busternfruss

Thank you so much for the reply. Shortly after posting this I did a little digging and saw others mention the same eTrex unit you have... and I saw it on pricegrabber.com for about 113.00

I think I'll invest in that plus a compass and maybe a book on how to actually read maps w/ a compass (for future camping, hiking excursions), plus possibly attend a class at REI..

This has been a fun start to an interesting new hobby and I appreciate your opinion and time.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the reply. Shortly after posting this I did a little digging and saw others mention the same eTrex unit you have... and I saw it on pricegrabber.com for about 113.00

I think I'll invest in that plus a compass and maybe a book on how to actually read maps w/ a compass (for future camping, hiking excursions), plus possibly attend a class at REI..

This has been a fun start to an interesting new hobby and I appreciate your opinion and time.

Thanks!

Apparently this model is a good choice for caching, if you don't need it for driving navigation.

There may be a way to use its compass page as a compass; I don't know. I'm still learning to use it!

I love geocaching, I've seen a lot of new places I wouldn't have otherwise, and met some good new friends.

Oh, and someone replied in another thread that the 24 mb will hold a good bit of maps, too, more than I thought.

Best wishes to you and your girl!!

Edited by busternfruss

Here's a book that might be of interest, and a site you can download maps from:

Using a Garmin® GPS with Paper Maps Download (1 MB)

All Oregon 24K TOPO Quads: LINK

Just a quick question about this Magellan Maestro 3225... I can't find the answer in the product manual downloaded from the website, nor on any of the device's menu pages.

Where do I find what Datum the GPS uses (if that's the correct way to phrase that question). IE: NADxx?

EMC of Northridge California still uses a Gecko gpsr. So, you may want to keep the one you have for a bit.

I would suggest the etrex for a starter unit, and attend an event to learn how to use it.

Events are a blast, and you will meet other cachers in your area.

If you cache with another experienced cacher, you will learn the tricks quicker.

I wouldn't buy a book. :D

Welcome to geocaching and the forums!

In most cases, you will not need a map or a compass in order to geocache.

I am unfamiliar with your particularl unit. However, successful geocaching depends most on the use of the "pointer" on the GPSr. Once you have started navigation toward the cache, the pointer shows the relative difference between the direction you are going and the direction you should be going. If you are headed right toward the cache, the pointer is straight ahead. If you are not, the pointer tells you which way to turn. For example, if you are headed a bit to the right of the cache location, the pointer will point slightly to the left. Unless your unit has a built-in compass, the pointer only works when you are moving because it depends on satellite information to determine your direction of travel. Also note that the pointer may become erratic when you get close to the cache. When that happens, it's time to start using your eyes instead of your GPSr.

That said, maps can be useful if you cache in larger parks with hilly terrain. In this situation, blindly following the pointer may result in a lot more up and down travel than you want. A topo map (and the ability to read it) will help you travel "along the contours" to the cache. If you find that you are using maps a lot, you can invest in a GPSr which has built-in mapping capability. Depending on the model and manufacturer, some come with built-in maps (e.g., the Garmin Colorado and Oregon). For others, you must purchase map software separately and download the maps you need from your computer to the unit. Typically, these units (and the mapping software) are quite a bit more expensive than non-mapping units, so you really have to be into it before it's worthwhile.

Can't speak to the location of the datum setting on your unit. Most likely, the unit uses WGS84 by default. This is the datum in which all cache coordinates are given on geocaching.com. If you are using the unit with paper maps from USGS, the map datum is almost certainly NAD27 CONUS (North American Datum, 1927, Continental US). The datum will be shown in the margin of the map. If you are manually entering the coordinates, it is very important that the unit be set to the datum in which the coordinates are given. So set the unit to WGS84 when entering coordinates from geocaching.com. Once you have entered the coordinates, you can switch the unit to the NAD27 CONUS datum. If you then look at the cache coordinates on the unit, you will see that they are slightly different than what you entered. These coordinates can be used with the map. However, even on a 7.5 minute quad (1:24,000), placing the coordinates on the map is only going to give you a general idea of the cache location!

Some people use a compass (and orienteering skills) to do some types of multis. In this type of cache, the directions will frequently be in the form "go x distance on a bearing of y degrees magnetic". You can do this with a compass if you can walk a straight line in the woods. But it's a lot easier to use your GPSr to do what's called waypoint projection. Again, I can't speak to the details on your particular unit, but you should be able to handle this on the unit. Start by placing a waypoint at your current location (if you don't already have one). Then find the projection capability on your unit. It will allow you to enter a bearing and distance from the current waypoint and will then place another waypoint at the designated location. Then you can navigate to that waypoint just like any other.

One thing to watch out for. Your unit can probably be set for either magnetic or true north headings. Be sure the unit is set for the type of heading given in the multi directions (which might say "on a bearing of y degrees magnetic" OR "on a bearing of y degrees true") before you do the projection. In most parts of the country, there is a significant difference (called declination) between true north and magnetic north. This varies from place to place. If your unit allows you to set the bearing type, it has enough information to convert between the two based on your location. Failure to get this right will put you far, far from the desired waypoint...

Unfortunately, this automotive style GPSr does not allow me to switch datum types, nor does it allow me to switch between magnetic/true North. I'm still waiting for an email from Magellan support (they are slow by email) for a verification on the datum type this unit uses. Maybe they'll release a firmware update to it soon.

Oh well, I think we're doing OK for beginners... have over 20 caches found since July 6th and only 2 DNFs which came yesterday, but thanks to a message from one of the cache owners, we have a hint as to where one of them is now - and will reattempt the other one also.

I guess in my case... practice makes not perfect but a little bit better each time.

Thank you all for your help and replies.

Oh well, I think we're doing OK for beginners... have over 20 caches found since July 6th and only 2 DNFs which came yesterday, but thanks to a message from one of the cache owners, we have a hint as to where one of them is now - and will reattempt the other one also.

so im going to buy a gps, so should i buy the Magellan Maestro 3225? i would really like to know if its good for geocacheing....