As a beginner . . .

That blue Garmin Legend eTrex was a fine unit in its day. Simple fact is that ist is older technology at this point and that price is just not so great.

The older legend is a b&w screen and just 8MB for map memory. It uses a serial connection for computer transfers. Lots of users complain about poor signals under even light tree cover.

For about $140 - you can get a new Garmin Venture HC - color screen, usb connections, 24MB memory, high sensitivity receiver, long battery life and rugged. Much better choice.

That blue Garmin Legend eTrex was a fine unit in its day. Simple fact is that ist is older technology at this point and that price is just not so great.

The older legend is a b&w screen and just 8MB for map memory. It uses a serial connection for computer transfers. Lots of users complain about poor signals under even light tree cover.

For about $140 - you can get a new Garmin Venture HC - color screen, usb connections, 24MB memory, high sensitivity receiver, long battery life and rugged. Much better choice.

Thanks Starbrand! I assume it has the topo maps that seem to be necessary?

ditto

ditto

oh no, this one will not connect to PC.

Thanks Starbrand! I assume it has the topo maps that seem to be necessary?

No - the topo maps are not included with the Venture. However, you really don't need those to find any cache out there. I have not used them even once in 6+ years of geocaching. Some people say it makes it a bit easier on some caches but not required at all.

ditto

both the legen and the Venture HC will connect to a computer - one just uses an old slow serial connection to do it. Your computer may not even have serial - all newer computers have USB however.

ditto

both the legen and the Venture HC will connect to a computer - one just uses an old slow serial connection to do it. Your computer may not even have serial - all newer computers have USB however.

I just bought a Venture HC. It has the new, better receiver. It has a USB connector included. Last week it was $117, free shipping, at amazon.com. It doesn't have a card slot, has 24 mb internal memory. If you want to load large maps, you would probably need a model with a card slot, but I don't know that they are needed except for the wilderness (which I don't do.) Or if you want to load City Navigator for driving, you'd need a card slot. I only use the Venture HC for caching. It doesn't do driving navigation. HTH some--

Edited by busternfruss
If you want to load large maps, you would probably need a model with a card slot, but I don't know that they are needed except for the wilderness (which I don't do.)

You wouldn't need a card to do the wilderness unless, by the wilderness, you mean the entire continental divide trail. I can get all of Topo 2008 for Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks and most of the country in between on my old Legend C, which has the 24 mb internal memory.

If you want to load large maps, you would probably need a model with a card slot, but I don't know that they are needed except for the wilderness (which I don't do.)

You wouldn't need a card to do the wilderness unless, by the wilderness, you mean the entire continental divide trail. I can get all of Topo 2008 for Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks and most of the country in between on my old Legend C, which has the 24 mb internal memory.

That's good to know! I might try to load some maps into my Venture HC now, but the driving type, not the topos. I thought it wouldn't hold that much map!! (And I have my beloved Nuvi 350 anyway.) I probably shouldn't have mentioned something I have so little knowledge of, but I just didn't want anyone to buy the model I have, thinking they could load more than it would hold. Didn't want to mislead on that, but probably did it, oops. Thanks--

The "driving type" maps are much different from the Topo maps. You can get quite a bit of Topo map area into 24 MB of memory. I don't know how large an area of the data-rich auto-routing maps will fit on 24 MB . . . Also, the City Navigator maps are Unlocked to just one GPSr. You would want to Unlock those to a unit capable of auto-routing like the Legend HCx, Vista HCx, 60Cx/CSx, 76Cx/CSx, etc.

ditto

I just bought a Venture HC. It has the new, better receiver. It has a USB connector included. Last week it was $117, free shipping, at amazon.com. It doesn't have a card slot, has 24 mb internal memory. If you want to load large maps, you would probably need a model with a card slot, but I don't know that they are needed except for the wilderness (which I don't do.) Or if you want to load City Navigator for driving, you'd need a card slot. I only use the Venture HC for caching. It doesn't do driving navigation. HTH some--

This one?

Venture HC

Edited by johnling

The "driving type" maps are much different from the Topo maps. You can get quite a bit of Topo map area into 24 MB of memory. I don't know how large an area of the data-rich auto-routing maps will fit on 24 MB . . . Also, the City Navigator maps are Unlocked to just one GPSr. You would want to Unlock those to a unit capable of auto-routing like the Legend HCx, Vista HCx, 60Cx/CSx, 76Cx/CSx, etc.

Oh, OK! I'll probably just stick with my Nuvi 350 for all that, then! The maps were included with it.

He can get me to the area, then the Venture HC takes me to the cache! (And doesn't mind lying in pinestraw, getting a little wet, etc.) Thanks!!

ditto

THANKS!!!! Just ordered it!

ditto

This one?

Venture HC

Yes.

ditto

THANKS!!!! Just ordered it!

Happy caching! I'm still learning to use it, but I like it so far! Hope you like it too.