GPX File download

I have a Garmin Map 60 CSx and have been trying to download GPX files for it. The problem seems to be that when I download the file it is stored only as a text file which I then can't get the Garmin software (Bobcat - as I am a Mac user) to recognize.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Garmin's MapSource, either the free mapless one available from their web site, or the ones you buy should be able to understand a GPX file format. The GPS itself can't. That free one may also be called Waypoint Manager.

Of you can use the free software called EasyGPS and others available from the resources section of geocaching.com to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to and from your GPS.

oops, server burp.

Seems like every summer the frequency of these quadruple.

P.S. Didn't see that you were a Mac user. Can't help there, but if Bobcat is a product from Garmin then it should work with your Garmin GPS.

The only thing I can suggest is for you to try to use a Windows emulator, something like WINE a windows emulator for UNIX/Linux.

Edited by trainlove

I'm not sure if the problem is the software or the way in which I download and save the GPX file.

I don't have any problems in transferring data from the GPS unit to Bobcat (it seems to go seamlessly) but it is just the fact that the downloaded GPX files are viewed as text (".txt" file type) which is then not recognised.

Any suggestions?

In the PC world, one associates a GPX file with whatever utility one chooses, GSAK for me. And one can right click and use any other utility to actually view it such as Notepad and EasyGPS...

Don't know how the Mac world works. I do have a Mac, among 20 other kinds of computers, but have not turned it on in at least 4 years.

Pretty much the same in the mac world. Right-click on the file, or control-click if you have a one button mouse. Choose 'open with', select Bobcat if it shows in the list. Choose 'other' if Bobcat doesn't show, then navigate to and select Bobcat.

To make Bobcat the default for .gpx files right-click on a file and choose 'get info'. Go through the same process as above and then choose 'Change All' under the text which says 'Use this application to open all documents like this'.