In car GPS unit...

Well no wonder no one responded.... The post just wasn't there ;)

So I'll try again.

We are looking to buy an auto GPS. We've been looking at all the ones available and they all seem to be good units with the features we are looking for. What we would like is input from all of you as to what you like and don't like about your units.

The ones we have in mind are:

Garmin Street Pilot c340

Tomtom one

Magellan Maestro 3100

Magellan Roadmate 3000T

These selections aren't set in stone so feel free to recomend any one you like and don't forget to tell us why B)

Well no wonder no one responded.... The post just wasn't there ;)

So I'll try again.

We are looking to buy an auto GPS. We've been looking at all the ones available and they all seem to be good units with the features we are looking for. What we would like is input from all of you as to what you like and don't like about your units.

Garmin Street Pilot c340

Tomtom one

Magellan Maestro 3100

Magellan Roadmate 3000T

These selections aren't set in stone so feel free to recomend any one you like and don't forget to tell us why B)

I just picked up a TomTom 730 and from my short time with it, it is a solid unit. Its have advanced lane quidance which is nice and show arrows on which lanes to be in at stop signs and lights. Its very specific. There are a few things I don't like is that I cannot touch a POI from the main screen and route myself to it. Thats one thing I miss from my magellan. I can however go to a map view and touch poi's and route myself that way but you can't do it on the fly while driving. The other thing was the cancel route button was three menus in on the screen but I created a custom menu where its on the same screen. You can really customize TOMTOM's a lot. The tomtom screen seems to get washed out in the sunlight and its really hard to see but I bought a visor for it and it works well.

I also have the Magellan RoadMate 6000T. Its an older unit, magellan no longer supports it but I have used it for 2 years prior to my tomtom purchase and its been a great unit. The screen is not a wide screen but its nice and bright and easy to see. It has the ablility to do route planning and custom Poi's. It has quite a few nice features but you probably don't want to buy a discontinued unit. They retired all the roadmate models this year.

The Maestro from what I hear are little buggy but it really depends on the model. I was going to get a Maestro unit magellan dropped the explorist line which my 600 is only a 2 years old and they aren't going to be doing any firmware support for it. I have been waitng for a firmware update for over a year and nothing. Way to support your product magellan.

My better half has a Garmin 760 in her car and she loves it she wants to upgrade to the 880 soon but I think we are going to wait till the price comes down a tad. $1000.00 a bit pricey on the gps.

You should look at the Garmin nuvi line. The c3xx series is very close to being discontinued. The nuvi 2xx line has some great models. Also, the nuvi 350, although a little bit older technology, is a great all around unit.

Yes, the nuvi 350 is one of the more popular models in the nuvi line due to its performance. The Street Pilots are old technology at this point.

looks like a nice unit but can you do multi poi routing with it???

It's main use will be navigating to cache site parking while we are traveling.

I do believe only the 7XX series of the nuvi have the ability to multi-route. The 3XX series will only allow one other point between routes so you have start point/stop/end point.

I do believe the maestro line does multi-routing just do research on which one you buy before hand. They have several units and I know some are very problematic and some aren't.

One of my first units that I used to help me geocache was a magellan 760 and it did everything I needed it to do. Multi to custom pois. The only issue I had with the 760 which wasn't an issue at the time was it had no 3d-view like its upgraded model of the magellan 800. I have a tendency to collect gps. haha. Usually when faced with do I update the maps for 80.00 bucks or buy a new gps. I usually buy a new gps. So nothing wrong with going backwards in technology, you get what you can afford and what features work for you.

I have a tendency to collect gps. haha. Usually when faced with do I update the maps for 80.00 bucks or buy a new gps. I usually buy a new gps. So nothing wrong with going backwards in technology, you get what you can afford and what features work for you.

I hear you there...

Cost isn't a big deal but getting the features I want is so it looks like more time on line doing research and less time caching :)

Well no wonder no one responded.... The post just wasn't there :D

So I'll try again.

Garmin Street Pilot c340

Tomtom one

Magellan Maestro 3100

Magellan Roadmate 3000T

These selections aren't set in stone so feel free to recomend any one you like and don't forget to tell us why :D

They've been out awhile, and I've had mine for a year, but I ADORE my guy Jonesy, a Nuvi 350! The last time I checked, amazon's price was under $200 with free shipping.

He even works great for caching, too, but I'm afraid I'll kill him by getting him wet, so I just ordered him a playmate, a little eTrex Venture HC, just for caching use.

I'm not a techie and machines don't usually like me, but Jonesy does. He is so easy to use, even I can do it! He tells me the street name for turns, in addition to the distance to the turn. He often tells me which lane to get in on Interstates and such. Yes, you can only insert one via point, but he recalculates so quickly and so well that if you start on your preferred route, he quickly starts giving you directions for that route, so it's no problem for the way I use him. I could go on and on, but this is a great unit imho. There are many Nuvi models, some much fancier. The Garmin site lets you compare them by features. I have no complaints about my Nuvi 350!

I have a tendency to collect gps. haha. Usually when faced with do I update the maps for 80.00 bucks or buy a new gps. I usually buy a new gps. So nothing wrong with going backwards in technology, you get what you can afford and what features work for you.

I hear you there...

Cost isn't a big deal but getting the features I want is so it looks like more time on line doing research and less time caching :D

Well if cost is not an issue. The new maestro looks nice its the Maestro Elite 5340+GPRS. Its also pricey at over 1100.00 bucks. The new nuvis look nice too the 880 series.

http://www.tigergps.com/magellanmaestroelite5340g.html

Well that answers a couple of our Questions. Thank you very much :D

Now about the Street Pilot??? Any one???

I have the SP 2820, great unit, but it has features that the average user that just wants to get from point A to point B wouldn't use.

I just re-read some of the posts about multiple destinations in a route, the 2820 will do this. Off the top of my head I don't know what the limit is, but I have done as many as 7 while routing.

Edited by DWBur