CO 400t First Satellite Acquisition Date?

I bought this CO 400t from a local store which was a $ mistake we won't dwell on here. I should have suspected the trouble when they opened the unit set asside for me and there was writing inside the top box flap that all the units could have been opened. Anyway, I got a different box that the salesperson assured me had never been opened and took it home and fired it up. It went immediately to the map screen and not to the Setup for language and time adjustments.

Are the Quick Start Guide and Owner's Manual incorrect in mentioning this first start procedure? I read somewhere about a First Satellite Acquisition Date? How do I access this date? If it is prior to the date I bought the 400t on I could make assumptions that there might be some problem with the unit making for an easy full refund return.

How do I read this First Satellite Acquisition Date? Thank you.

Edited by Ratsneve

The only way I know of to access this date is to register the unit on myGarmin. People seem to get a first satellite acquired date once they connect the CO and register online. I've never seen anything in a diagnostic screen or the like that gives you this information directly.

GO$Rs

The only way I know of to access this date is to register the unit on myGarmin. People seem to get a first satellite acquired date once they connect the CO and register online. I've never seen anything in a diagnostic screen or the like that gives you this information directly.

GO$Rs

I had registered the unit and discovered on my second look at the page that it gave a March 1, 2008 date for First Satellite Acquired. Talking to tech support I learned that this was a Garmin test date and not when someone else might have acquired the satellites.

I've decided I want to return the unit for a 300 so I can keep all the map software on my PC. The tech said that the 300 and 400t have the same onboard ROM/RAM. Garmin must have an awful piracy problem with their map software.

Thank you. I'll be back...

The tech said that the 300 and 400t have the same onboard ROM/RAM.

Unless they've made changes recently that is not true. The 300 has 512MB of internal (probably flash) memory and the 400t has 4GB. About 200MB of both is set aside for system files and images so it isn't available to the end user but you still only end up with about 350MB of free space on a 300 vs. about 1GB on a 400t after you take away the additional 2.7GB used for Topo.

GO$Rs

The tech said that the 300 and 400t have the same onboard ROM/RAM.

Unless they've made changes recently that is not true. The 300 has 512MB of internal (probably flash) memory and the 400t has 4GB. About 200MB of both is set aside for system files and images so it isn't available to the end user but you still only end up with about 350MB of free space on a 300 vs. about 1GB on a 400t after you take away the additional 2.7GB used for Topo.

GO$Rs

I think this has changed now or was never made clear. Two techs at Garmin say the 300 and 400s all have 4GB RAM. The Wiki Review says they have 4GB too. I believe the later was updated since I have heard/read that earlier on there was a RAM difference as you indicate. Now, however, we need still more confirmation on this. Would someone please confirm this now? Thank you.

This definitely was the case, it may have changed. You can look through the old posts on the Colorado and find people with 300's who posted their memory sizes -- even Garmin's page shows a difference in internal memory size (the 300 is shown as 384MB while the 400t says "yes").

Where it in the wiki does it say that the 300 has 4GB?

GO$Rs

Where it in the wiki does it say that the 300 has 4GB?

GO$Rs

This is/was an error on my part since the review was speaking of the 400t and not the whole Colorado series--I think--at this point. Turns out that the RAM on the 300 is a variable that Garmin can has and will change as needed and is something they won't discuss or spec out accounding to my heated conversation with a senior tech, Larry, at Garmin earlier today. I've decided to give up on the RAM issue and focus and decide what Colorado to buy based on my application needs. Thank you.

Edited by Ratsneve

On my 400t it shows the first satellite acquisition date as being in 2015.

Please describe where on your 400t you are reading this because the First Satellite Acquisition date does not display on the unit itself. To see the date you must register the 400t and look at the information in your MyGarmin account. The date represents when Garmin QA tested your unit--not when you or someone else first acquired the GPSs.

Edited by Ratsneve