Waypoint names too long for eTrex

Hi fellow geocachers,

I have a Garmin eTrex H which I bought recently and really like apart from one minor problem. Some geocache waypoint names have seven digits but the eTrex only stores the first six. e.g. GC10RDQ becomes GC10RD. I guess I could edit the name manually and drop the leading G, but that would defeat the purpose of using the serial cable. This hasn't caused me any problems so far, but I was wondering if anyone else has found this "feature" and managed an easy work-around.

Neil

If you use MapSource to manage and load your waypoints, go to Edit/Preferences/Waypoint/ and under "Limit Application created names to", change the default of (most likely) 6 to 14 that your unit can handle. If using GSAK there is also an option to designate waypoint name length.

If you use MapSource to manage and load your waypoints, go to Edit/Preferences/Waypoint/ and under "Limit Application created names to", change the default of (most likely) 6 to 14 that your unit can handle.

Doesn't that only apply to waypoints created in MapSource, not those loaded from an external file?

Hi Neil

I use to have the basic Etrex and had the same problem. You can download a free geocaching program called CacheMagnet. The Virtual Earth maps are great and the aerial/birdseye function is fantastic. But it will also resolve your problem.

http://cachemagnet.googlepages.com/

After you have loaded your waypoints you can use the transform function (Under File Menu) to change the waypoint. It removes the leading GC, and adds the first character of the cache type, and a single number for terrain rating at the end. It does not matter if your GPSr cuts out any of these last 2 digits.

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

Hi Neil

I use to have the basic Etrex and had the same problem. You can download a free geocaching program called CacheMagnet. The Virtual Earth maps are great and the aerial/birdseye function is fantastic. But it will also resolve your problem.

http://cachemagnet.googlepages.com/

After you have loaded your waypoints you can use the transform function (Under File Menu) to change the waypoint. It removes the leading GC, and adds the first character of the cache type, and a single number for terrain rating at the end. It does not matter if your GPSr cuts out any of these last 2 digits.

Regards Tarot

Do you have to be a premium member for the Transform function to work? The program looks great but the Transform function doesn't change anything for me as far as I can see. Thanks.

Do you have to be a premium member for the Transform function to work? The program looks great but the Transform function doesn't change anything for me as far as I can see. Thanks.

As a test I have just tried to transform some (loc) files, and the function does not work. Because "Transform" uses the cache type and terrain to modify the waypoint, I think you need to use (GPX) files. So yes you would need to be a premium member.

Regards Tarot

As a test I have just tried to transform some (loc) files, and the function does not work. Because "Transform" uses the cache type and terrain to modify the waypoint, I think you need to use (GPX) files. So yes you would need to be a premium member.

Regards Tarot

Thank you for your help.

qtips

If GPSBabel (which probably runs on whatever unnamed you're using) is sending a geocache with a record number, errr, gc# to a GPS with a unit that won't hold it, it'll whack the "G", the "C" or both to make it fit.

If it still won't fit and be unique, it'll start tweaking the last characters of the name to make it fit.

Better still, it has smartnames so it can can optionally shoot a "real" name into your GPS so you're not standing at the next meeting hearing people talk about "The Matrix" when all you know if you found GC1BR549.

In short, you just need to use smarter software. Many have been mentioned now.

If GPSBabel (which probably runs on whatever unnamed you're using) is sending a geocache with a record number, errr, gc# to a GPS with a unit that won't hold it, it'll whack the "G", the "C" or both to make it fit.

If it still won't fit and be unique, it'll start tweaking the last characters of the name to make it fit.

Better still, it has smartnames so it can can optionally shoot a "real" name into your GPS so you're not standing at the next meeting hearing people talk about "The Matrix" when all you know if you found GC1BR549.

In short, you just need to use smarter software. Many have been mentioned now.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll need to try some of the different software (or get a better GPSr :) )