Geojournal vs MacCaching

This question is for you Mac users. I'm looking for opinions on Geojournal and MacCaching software. I've downloaded both and played a little with them but I'm looking for opinions from people who have used them for a little while. Which one did you choose and why? What problems have you found with your choice? What do you like about your choice?

I'm a Macintosh user and have downloaded both MacCaching and Geojournal and can honestly say that I like MacCaching better.

Geojournal makes it very hard to edit cache information, this might be easier if you pay to register the program, I don't know because I wasn't going to buy licenses for both programs. Plus the Geojournal software is $30 vs the $15 for MacCaching.

MacCaching is a great program. The Smart Cachelists more than make up for the $15 license fee. Once registered you can create as many Smart Cachelists as you want, heck even with the 4 Smart Cachelists in the unregistered version are nice to have. I use the Smart Cachelist feature for caches in different states and my found caches so I don't have them all in one list.

The forums for MacCaching are much more active than Geojournal's. For example I made a post in the Feature Requests section of MacCaching's Forum for an ability for "Sort by date added" and the creator of MacCaching said he'd add it to the list of improvements, so its nice to see that the creator is active in his own forums and listens to peoples requests for new features.

Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd add another post here. I'm very new to geocaching, and have been trying out both of these pieces of software. Each has its pros and cons.

I'd prefer to use Geojournal (easier interface, photos and a journal can be integrated), but I can only view distances in miles. Australia, like a lot of countries outside North America, uses kilometers.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the distance setup? GeoJournal does not reply to email support.

If not, I have no choice but to use MacCaching (which has miles or kilometers settings).

Any advice appreciated.

I've tried both and I actually use both -- it's a little clunky, but they each do different things well.

With GeoJournal, I like the itinerary feature. I'm able to order caches the way I want and if I'm going someplace unfamiliar, it's easier for me and my spouse to print out the itinerary and refer to it as we go. I also like the journal feature, especially for Puzzle caches. When I solve the puzzle, I capture the corrected coordinates there (I understand GSAK does this, but haven't seen that either Mac option accommodates it). Anyway, it's pretty user friendly and I just generally prefer the interface.

For MacCaching, the best part about it is the ease with which you can export GCs to the Mac Address Book to facilitate paperless caching. Other than that, I don't really find that there is much I would use in MacCaching that I don't prefer how it's handled in GeoJournal.

But that's just me ... you probably can't go horribly wrong with either. I'm just darn glad there is something for the Mac. Good luck with your selection.

I switched from a PC to a Mac this fall (love it!!), and have been trying to adjust to MacCaching after using GSAK. I have tried to click to the forum and FAQ section, but I land on a spammy-looking page:http://forums.maccaching.com/. I have registered with Maccaching. Anyone know what's going on, and how to get to the real forum and help sections?

I really wanted to like geojournal, but it seems to have turned into abandonware before it was really finished. Too much unfinished business. MacCaching is almost Ok, but also has some missed features that kill it for me. I got really spoiled with GSAK before switching to macs in about 2005, and after messing with the 2 programs mentioned here, I've gone back to using it in XP on my mac using vmware fusion.