opinon please Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock

hi and thanks for taking the time to read my post i was wonderingwhat you guys and gals think about Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock how you like it did sleep well are you satisfied with it the reason i ask is i was in a car wreck and sutained multiple injurys broken back tailbone pelvis chrushed legs hip and feet i have managed to get back in shape to where i can hike extended days on the trail with out to much problems but when it comes to sleepin on the ground i am in enormus pain half way through the night and was wondering how this shealter works i have tried all types of bed rolls and pads and they just dont cut it and i refuse to give up the enjoyment hiking gives so if you have used this or somthing similar please give me your opion and thanks for your time

hi and thanks for taking the time to read my post i was wonderingwhat you guys and gals think about Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock how you like it did sleep well are you satisfied with it the reason i ask is i was in a car wreck and sutained multiple injurys broken back tailbone pelvis chrushed legs hip and feet i have managed to get back in shape to where i can hike extended days on the trail with out to much problems but when it comes to sleepin on the ground i am in enormus pain half way through the night and was wondering how this shealter works i have tried all types of bed rolls and pads and they just dont cut it and i refuse to give up the enjoyment hiking gives so if you have used this or somthing similar please give me your opion and thanks for your time

Try visiting the Hennessy Hammocks forum. I visit that site to compare manufacturers. I've been holding out for the North American Hammock.

One thing you'll find on that forum is that many of the users have back pain issues.

Good Luck!

My hiking buddy has the same hammock as you and I use an Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) hammock. We've both been VERY happy with them. It's a different mindset that takes a little getting used to but once you start hangin' you'll never look back. Heck, the thing packs up the size of a grapefruit and weighs a couple pounds less than my tent. That alone is a great selling point!

Oops, forgot to add that I use a ENO Doublenest. I love it because it doesn't have a built on bug net (which could be a good thing depending on what you like). That way I can hang around without it during the day and enjoy the breeze (you'd be amazed how much air circulation the bug nets stop!) and then before hitting the sack I throw on my bug net.

This is a great site to get gear reviews on hammock:

http://www.hammockforums.net/

I love my Hennessey Hammock. It's my favourite one-person shelter, though I do find it too cold for 4 season use. I've looked at buying the winter conversion kit, but now that I'm married and the wife comes on almost all of my trips it's not likely to happen.

I love the weight, the ease of set up and the comfortable sleeps I get in it. As long as you're not someone who sleeps on their stomach this is definitely the way to go.

As far as the trees not being adequate for hanging the hammock, I've done a couple of things in that circumstance. I've tied a bunch of trees together on each side and then hung my hammock from it. I've also used it similar to a bivy sac, by laying it on the ground and either tying off to trees to hold it up, or to my hiking poles. Not as comfortable as hanging in it but it still works just fine. Of course I normally use my thermarest in it anyways.

Take a look at this website for people who can answer all your questions about hammocks. A lot of people seem to like the hennessy hammocks as a way to start out but eventually change to a top loader design as it is typically easier to get into your bag from the top. The bottom entry of the HH makes that hard and if you have to use the hammock on the ground for some reason, it is very hard to get into. Think of crawling into your tent through a slit in the floor. In my opinion the best camping hammock out there and as far as I know the only four season hammock is the Clark North American. This link will take you to the page. It is a lot more money than an HH but you can do a lot more with it. It is a top loader, removable bug net which is nice and unique to this brand is a weather shield which gives you privacy and protection from the weather. On other forums I have read the weather shield can keep the inside temps about 10 degrees warmer than outside. You can use this hammock on the ground and has places to put stakes.

Depending on how you hang your hammock you can sleep almost flat, a lot of people have no problem sleeping on their backs, sides, and some on their stomach. A pad helps get the hammock to lay flatter. One thing to look at especially if you have injuries is the stability of your hammock. You dont want to dump out of it in the middle of the night but if you go with a higher end hammock like the HH or Clark, or Jacks R Better, you should not have much problem with that.

Now you're talkin'. Before this post, I was not inclined. That Clark North American hammock looks like a good compromise to a standard tent.

The great news is for guys our size Clark just came out with a longer, wider version of the North American called the Nx-200. I have been doing alot of research on hammocks for the last few months and the NX-200 is what Im going to get this fall. I cant wait to take it out on a winter campout to see how it fairs.

Now you're talkin'. Before this post, I was not inclined. That Clark North American hammock looks like a good compromise to a standard tent.

The great news is for guys our size Clark just came out with a longer, wider version of the North American called the Nx-200. I have been doing alot of research on hammocks for the last few months and the NX-200 is what Im going to get this fall. I cant wait to take it out on a winter campout to see how it fairs.

Maybe I should wait till I reach my target weight. :lol: Got another 27 lbs to go. :ph34r:

Maybe I should wait till I reach my target weight. :D Got another 27 lbs to go. B)

No matter what your weight... there's always a this-or-that type of thing going on. However, if it helps motivate'cha... you should wait!

:D

m

thanks for all the great info guys i think i am going with the clark model it looks like it has all the feature,s i need and i will update you on how i like it after a couple of night,s in it

Good luck with your clark. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing about it. If your looking for more info on the clark there is a yahoo group for clarck hammocks and you can find alot of great info there if you join the group.

thanks for all the great info guys i think i am going with the clark model it looks like it has all the feature,s i need and i will update you on how i like it after a couple of night,s in it

Good luck with your clark. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing about it. If your looking for more info on the clark there is a yahoo group for clarck hammocks and you can find alot of great info there if you join the group. There is also a nice 2 part video on youtube that one of the guys from the yahoo group just put up. Anyone interested just type clark hammock into youtube

Maybe I should wait till I reach my target weight. :D Got another 27 lbs to go. B)

No matter what your weight... there's always a this-or-that type of thing going on. However, if it helps motivate'cha... you should wait!

B)

m

Now now... I've always had that target weight since January. The rewards at the end keep me reaching for that....errr.... beer at the end of the stick. :D

:D

m

Now now... I've always had that target weight since January. The rewards at the end keep me reaching for that....errr.... beer at the end of the stick. B)

Well when I said guys our size I was not really refering to weight. The NX 200 is geared towards people over 6' and thats what I was refering to.

I don't think you'll regret getting a hammock. I went with the ENO Double Nest and a Jacks R' Better Hudson River underquilt my self. One advantage to the ENO is that you save enough that you can get a decent underquilt to go with your hammock. I've used it a few times in the field now and I've got to say I slept better than in my own bed. I'm actually considering going hammock full time at home. The post above pointing to hammockforums.net is right great guys, great info. ;)

ok guys and gals i got my clark and did a couple of set ups and tkae downs in the yard takes a little getting used to but i got it down pretty quick my biggest problem was figuring the right hight to set it at so as to make it easy to get in and out once i had that it was a snap took it out to pine mountain this weekend on a overniter and i have to say i slept pretty good took a couple of minutes to get used to the slight swinging motion but after that it was great i used one of my old blue pads under my bag and could lay on my side and back with no trouble sorry didnt try stomach never could sleep on it stes up and takes down easy with a little practice and i love the way it packs i,m gonna do a 3 nighter nighter next week 28 miles in pine mountain and put it through its paces also i didnt have a sore back the next mornining like i normally do using my tent i would recomend the hammock system to any one with that problem i will let you know how it dos on the extended trip next week thanks guys for all the info i love my new hammock

ok guys and gals i got my clark and did a couple of set ups and tkae downs in the yard takes a little getting used to but i got it down pretty quick my biggest problem was figuring the right hight to set it at so as to make it easy to get in and out once i had that it was a snap took it out to pine mountain this weekend on a overniter and i have to say i slept pretty good took a couple of minutes to get used to the slight swinging motion but after that it was great i used one of my old blue pads under my bag and could lay on my side and back with no trouble sorry didnt try stomach never could sleep on it stes up and takes down easy with a little practice and i love the way it packs i,m gonna do a 3 nighter nighter next week 28 miles in pine mountain and put it through its paces also i didnt have a sore back the next mornining like i normally do using my tent i would recomend the hammock system to any one with that problem i will let you know how it dos on the extended trip next week thanks guys for all the info i love my new hammock

Well how was it?