Custom POIs and Map Updates

Troubl3m4kr

I just got a Garmin nuvi 200w last weekend for Father's Day, and I haven't downloaded my free map update yet. I figured I'd wait a couple of weeks to get a more recent map if they have one. :unsure: Does anyone know if my current Favorites and Custom POIs will remain on my nuvi 200w if I download the updated map?

Just so you know, waiting won't help you. Garmin issues map updates typically once per year per product. Once the update is released, it won't be updated again until the next year. The CN NA 2009 version that was officially released on May 1, 2008 is the latest release.

There's a possibility that your Favorites might be wiped out (it happens on some units but not others) but your Custom POIs should be affected. Either way, I'd back up both before doing the map update. In fact, it's advisable to backup the entire unit to a computer before doing any major operation on the unit.

Plus, Garmin will not let you skip into a free update. That is, you can update from 2008 to 2009, but not from 2008 to 2010. Plus plus, the free update is only when the update didn't reach the models already on the shelves; if you buy a GPS with 2009 today, you will not get a free update to 2010 next year.

When you connect your GPS to your computer with a USB cable, the computer will read the GPS as a drive - my Nuvi is read on F and G; yours may differ. Find the POI and gpx files. Those are the only ones that need to be backed up. It's only the waypoints that may be affected as those are saved internally along with the maps. POIs go on the memory card - at least that's the case on the 750s.