Suggestions for my first GPS?

canadiadry

So I would like to purchase my first GPS, but I pretty much don't know much about them. I would like a GPS that can take me geocaching, but also can be used for driving. I don't go camping or hiking, so I would just like something handy so that I can use it to drive around with and geocaching, that's all :unsure:. I would also like it to be fairly cheap, as I am a poor college student. What are your suggestions? Thank you!

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

Check out the Garmin Quest. That can be used for Driving and for Geocaching. The least expensive Garmin 'H' model that has the High Sensitivity receiver and can auto-route is the Legend HCx. It costs less than $200, but the City Navigator maps cost another $100.

we got an etrex ledgend for our first gps and it gets good accuracy, its easy to use, and its pretty cheap. but its not good for giving driving directions. you can buy add-on maps for around $100 that give you detailed maps on roads. but as far as i know, handhelds that also give directions are pretty expensive.

You definitely want an auto model GPS if you want to do any sort of driving navigation.

That said, most auto GPS units have a "pedestrian mode" which can be used to find geocaches. I suggest going to a somewhat specialized retailer, or anywhere that has them on display and try a demo model. Once you find a model that you like, go online for the cheapest price. I recommend Garmin, just be sure to purchase from an authorized Garmin dealer, I have heard of some people having warranty troubles when buying off of auction sites or similar retailers.

If you do not get an auto GPS, expect to pay more for map data which has streets (most come with just maps of major highways). Also, make sure (check on the manufacturer's web site) that the unit you are using is compatible with the street map software.

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It is not capable of routing, even with the road map software, but for me, that's ok, since I use it for hiking and camping mostly (and of course -- GEOCACHING!)

Hope this helps.

You can get basic TomTom One (refurbished) from Buy.com for $100 and used eTrex (yellow) for $50 here in the garage sale section. You can even get old GPSr from Craigslist for $25. I think getting two receivers is better because it will not compromise geocaching or driving navigation. Navigation unit will have streets loaded in and for geocaching you do not really need anything else than arrow pointing you in the right direction.

Frankly, I find my 60CSx works fine for auto navigation providing you buy a map set like City Navigator. It doesn't have voice prompts just written instructions, but as long as you mount it somewhere visible I've never had any issues using it for navigating.

I personally feel a handheld GPS (with the caveat of having good maps) will do better on the road than a auto-navigating unit will do on the trails.

Well, I just got a Garmin nuvi 200w for Father's Day. It's my first GPSr as well as my first venture into the wonderful world of geocaching. So far, I couldn't ask for anything more! I absolutely LOVE it. It works great on the road, and the "Offroad" mode works great for caching. Add that to GSAK and "pilotsnipes" macro, and you can't go wrong! Check out his thread and see if it sounds good to you. I know it works great for me, and I just started.

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com