Help needed-PDA and blue tooth GPS

Having spent two days trying to get my lovely new PDA (HP iPAQ 114) to work using a blue tooth GPS receiver and memory map, I'm just about to throw both pieces of kit at the nearest wall.

I have no problem with pairing the two items but keep getting an 'unable to open COM port' error. I thought I'd set them right (COM 5 in and COM 6 out)

Any of you technical geniuses out there able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in anticipation...

Polly

I use GpsGate with mine, so this might not apply, but.....

1. Don't use the ipaq's built in gps manager. If you are, turn it off, and start again.

2. The bluetooth port on my ipaq is COM8, so once you've got your ipaq and gps paired, open MM .

3. Go to Menu / GPS / Setup.

4. Select NMEA, COM8, Baud 4800

As I said, I use GPSGate, and you may have to fiddle with your port settings, but the above might help....

Edited by keehotee

Been a while since I set mine up but looking through my settings my GPS is set to Com port 6. I can't see if there is an in and an out port, I suspect it's only in.

I too spent days trying to setup my Holux GPSlim 236 to work with Memory Map 2004 for the first time.

I'm now using MMv5 which only has two manufacturer option under GPS setup (Navman & NMEA) but there were several other options in MM 2004 including Sirf. As I had a Sirf star 3 GPS I figured this was the best setting to use.

Wrong, I should have used NMEA.

This was over two years ago so I don't recall the error message that I was getting at the time but it turns out that what I'd done was to changed the protocol of the Holux (via memory map) therefore the two couldn't connect. There was no way to change this protocol setting back via the PDA.

The fix was to remove the battery from the Holux for 24 hours. This discharged an internal battery in the Holux. With the internal battery discharged the GPS reset itself to it's default NMEA setting. Once the protocol was back to normal the setup was a breeze.

No sure if this applies to you but I hope it helps.

Bouncer