Lost Bugs: Etiquette on Releasing the "Copy" tag?

Dooley Noted

I have around 100+ travelbugs, and have finally been going through the copy tags, checking on the status.

Some are "in the hands of <cacher>" with less than 20 finds and hasn't logged into Geocaching in two years :)

Some are definitely muggled (after reading the logs from the cache they're in)

I've e-mailed the users who have my bugs logged in their inventory and put them in an envelope, hoping to hear a reply.

As for the ones that are absolutely, positively gone, :D I have done the following:

If there were less than 10 entries, I deleted all the logs, "grabbed" it back (and deleted the grab log) and it is essentially a new Travelbug, which I will release using the copy tag. :D

Here's the 64,000 dollar question: The bugs that have some degree of a history... What do I do with them?

I don't want to delete a good history of travel. I could just retire the tag (mark it "missing" and forget about it)

Or, I could rename it, put on a different Traveller, and release it, keeping all the entries intact.

However -- What is the etiquette on this? The "miles travelled" will be off, and any "discoveries" will have been for the OLD bug... :)

What are your thoughts on this? What's the proper etiquette?

Thanks!

We repurposed (deleted logs) a bug a while back and heard from some of the finders when they figured out that their stats changed. I would not delete the logs on any of the bugs, rather just post a note that as of now the bug has come back to life and is travelling again with mileage from the prior adventures totalling xxxx. We have a few of these that we need to launch again after they vanished for various reasons.

Deleting logs will remove the credit for everyone who assisted your bug in its journey.

Not a very nice thing to do.

You can change everything else about the bug, the traveler, the name, the mission. The journey is the fun part, don't even worry about the past history. It's just part of the bug profile.

Edited by BlueDeuce