Best Auto Nav GPS for Geocashing?

You can try some of the Nuvis like the 2XX series, they are inexpensive and you can cache with them.

WHOA...what changed your mind from the Nuvi's are useless for caching stance :( .

Well the person who asked the question had a price range and needed a solution for a caching and car navigation system and the nuvi would fit the bill in this situation.

In my situation I still prefer to have a seperate gpsr for nav and geocaching.

I posted this on a previous thread but it might be helpful:

All of the Nuvi series are great street finders and work pretty well for geocaching. You could get a Nuvi 200 or 260 for now and maybe later get a mapping unit.

To use a Nuvi effectively for geocaching you need to carry a compass and match coordinates when you get close. You can enter coordinates by hand or through a USB cable connected to your computer. They have an off-road and pedestrian setting that will give you a line to follow and it gets you pretty close. Then you match your coordinates with the desired ones and move accordingly.

A mapping GPSr is easier to follow and will show the terrain features. Also it is weatherproof, more rugged, smaller and more readable in sunlight. They store more information for each cache, too.

I am pretty much a newbie myself so I can relate to your question.

Utilizing the new macro for the nüvi I have used mine for geocaching. I normally use my 76 CSx but I use the nüvi 760 for work and have, on occasion, used it for geocaching when I didn't have my 76 with me. the nüvi works GREAT for geocaching when used in conjunction with the new macro. I get all the cache details, etc. just like you would get on a Colorado. All the nüvi is missing is the arrow screen. You have to use coordinate matching to find the cache but a lot of folks do that anyway. I've found all the caches I looked for using the nüvi and didn't need the Palm or a printout since all the info was right there in the unit.

I started with a nuvi 260 which my wife had gotten me for my birthday and thus started my geocaching foray,..

I then moved to a nuvi 650 for myself and my wife got the 260 for her own uses,..

I am able to use this pretty well and am able to load POI files to the sd card,

I am using GSAK and only have a few issues , mostly the fact that I have over 500 total points so I have to clear the unit and load just my "not found" and make it directional,...

I think the nuvi work great for caching one only one slight drawback..... there are no batteries to change out so if your planning a good day of hiking or biking out in the wilderness I would suggest picking your trail and then turn off the unit till you get close enough,... nothing like running out of power in the middle of a hunt ,..LOL

Cypo

Utilizing the new macro for the nüvi I have used mine for geocaching. I normally use my 76 CSx but I use the nüvi 760 for work and have, on occasion, used it for geocaching when I didn't have my 76 with me. the nüvi works GREAT for geocaching when used in conjunction with the new macro. I get all the cache details, etc. just like you would get on a Colorado. All the nüvi is missing is the arrow screen. You have to use coordinate matching to find the cache but a lot of folks do that anyway. I've found all the caches I looked for using the nüvi and didn't need the Palm or a printout since all the info was right there in the unit.

I looked at this but don't you have to pay a monthly fee of some kind?

I looked at this but don't you have to pay a monthly fee of some kind?

The macro works from Pocket Queries, and to get Pocket Queries, you do have to have a Premium membership with geocaching.com.

I am a Nuvi owner and I would say that the Nuvi works for geocaching, but it is far from ideal for that purpose.

I posted this on a previous thread but it might be helpful:

All of the Nuvi series are great street finders and work pretty well for geocaching. You could get a Nuvi 200 or 260 for now and maybe later get a mapping unit.

To use a Nuvi effectively for geocaching you need to carry a compass and match coordinates when you get close. You can enter coordinates by hand or through a USB cable connected to your computer. They have an off-road and pedestrian setting that will give you a line to follow and it gets you pretty close. Then you match your coordinates with the desired ones and move accordingly.

A mapping GPSr is easier to follow and will show the terrain features. Also it is weatherproof, more rugged, smaller and more readable in sunlight. They store more information for each cache, too.

I am pretty much a newbie myself so I can relate to your question.

Hi,

When I use my Nuvi 350 for geocaching, I enter the coords (or download them), and when I'm in the general location of the cache, change to Pedestrian mode (some also change to Off-road, but I usually don't), and then Where to, find the cache in Favorites, and tell it to GO. I zoom the map in. I don't have to use a compass unless the cache directions call for a bearing (puzzle caches). This usually points me right to the cache very accurately. You could check your present coords using My Location, but I usually don't have to do that.

My only concern with the Nuvi is that I will damage it, get grit into it, etc. Therefore, I've ordered an eTrex Venture HC to use, only because I don't want to damage my Nuvi. (Price on that is down to $117, free shipping, at Amazon.) My Nuvi works very well for geocaching though. I don't cache in wilderness areas, and I'm a newbie too, 61 finds.

Happy caching--

Edited by busternfruss