Geocoins & Bugs

she_wolf

Yipee!

Found (and nabbed) my first geocoin.

Now what do I do?

I was going to log it, but wanted to make sure I follow the correct "protocol".

Do you get to write a note, same as you do with the other caches? The slip attached asked/ suggested something about a pic.

I am so psyched, as it was only my 7th cache - and no I didn't even realize it was a cache with a trackable item :laughing:

As long as we are on the subject.... just in case/ when I find my first bug - what do I do then?

Do you just take a bug if you have a bug to replace it with, and otherwise do you have to not grab it? What is the protocol on bugs?

Thanks!

go to the trackable items section of the site and log your find. Each bug and coin has it's own web page. you can write a little note about where you found it and the things it got to do with you. you will need to type in the number that is on either the coin or travel bug to get to it's page. once you have logged that you have picked it up you need to find another cache to drop it off into. After you have dropped it off you get back on and log where you put it. you log travel bugs and coins both the same way the difference is that with most coins you get a unique symbol on your profile for it but the travel bugs all get put under one category. Good luck

If you can, take a picture of the coin while it's traveling with you. But don't keep it for too long. Most bug and coin owners appreciate it if you put their trackable back into another cache within 2 weeks. You can upload your photos to the coin's page by editing your "Retrieve" log or by posting a note to the coin's page.

If you can, take a picture of the coin while it's traveling with you. But don't keep it for too long. Most bug and coin owners appreciate it if you put their trackable back into another cache within 2 weeks. You can upload your photos to the coin's page by editing your "Retrieve" log or by posting a note to the coin's page.

Thanks for the Info.

I'll log it right now & we're going out tonight and will drop it off someplace and log that...

Quick clarification...

So if you take a bug OR coin that is OK ~ you don't have to replace one in that same cache.

So as long as you pass them on you are ok?

As long as I have someone's ear, how do you put a bug or coin into play, just curious....

It sounds like you have it correct.

You do not have to trade for a bug or coin, just take them and make sure you move them to a different cache, and log which one you took it from and which one you put it in.

To put a bug or geocoin into play, you need to buy an "unactived" one. There are several websites that sell them, and in fact you can purchase the tags for bugs directly from this website. If you do buy a coin or bug just make sure it is "trackable on geocaching.com" and "unactivated". Then you can activate it and become the owner and start it up.

Other coin tips/info:

Some coins/bugs have specific goals listed on their website, or on an info sheet that is clipped to the item. You should try to follow the goals, if something says I want to go to the west coast, don't move it east, etc.

It is generally accepted that you can hold onto an item for 2-3 weeks at most. If you are going on a trip or something and want to hold a coin longer than that you should email the coin owner first and make sure it is okay.

There is often newbie confusion when logging coin. "Discovered" means you saw the coin but didn't pick it up. "Retrieved" means you saw the coin and did pick it up.

I try to be a little be picky about where I leave coins and trackables. If a cache is not hidden well or has a recent history of being muggled or in a heavy traffic area, that increases the chance coins and bugs get stolen. I like to leave them a little off the beaten path, or in cache that appears to be well hidden.

It sounds like you have it correct.

You do not have to trade for a bug or coin, just take them and make sure you move them to a different cache, and log which one you took it from and which one you put it in.

To put a bug or geocoin into play, you need to buy an "unactived" one. There are several websites that sell them, and in fact you can purchase the tags for bugs directly from this website. If you do buy a coin or bug just make sure it is "trackable on geocaching.com" and "unactivated". Then you can activate it and become the owner and start it up.

Other coin tips/info:

Some coins/bugs have specific goals listed on their website, or on an info sheet that is clipped to the item. You should try to follow the goals, if something says I want to go to the west coast, don't move it east, etc.

It is generally accepted that you can hold onto an item for 2-3 weeks at most. If you are going on a trip or something and want to hold a coin longer than that you should email the coin owner first and make sure it is okay.

There is often newbie confusion when logging coin. "Discovered" means you saw the coin but didn't pick it up. "Retrieved" means you saw the coin and did pick it up.

I try to be a little be picky about where I leave coins and trackables. If a cache is not hidden well or has a recent history of being muggled or in a heavy traffic area, that increases the chance coins and bugs get stolen. I like to leave them a little off the beaten path, or in cache that appears to be well hidden.

I am heading up north in about a week, so will drop it up there....

Now I have a question on the tracking#.

I had a number on the back or the coin that is not the same as the "reference" number that is listed on the coins web page. If I do a search on my number, nothing comes up, but if I enter the "reference" number from the coins web page, the correct page comes up.

I found it by doing a "name" search.

In order to 'grab', 'retrieve' or 'discover' a coin you will have to use the tracking number from the coin itself. You can look up a coin using its reference number, but that number won't let you do anything with the coin. Sometimes the tracking number on the coin is difficult to read correctly, o's and 0's, B's and 8's etc. I use a magnifying glass to help get the correct number to log.

In order to 'grab', 'retrieve' or 'discover' a coin you will have to use the tracking number from the coin itself. You can look up a coin using its reference number, but that number won't let you do anything with the coin. Sometimes the tracking number on the coin is difficult to read correctly, o's and 0's, B's and 8's etc. I use a magnifying glass to help get the correct number to log.

Just making sure I was using the right number - and thank goodness I used the magnifying glass, I thought it was a "B" and it was really a "6"

Thanks!