Newbiew here... Need advice in getting a Handheld GPS unit

Hello all!

We are the Ortiz-Leon Family. We want to start geocaching this summer and we actually live in Ft. Collins Colorado. I've heard many threads about Colorado, but everything is kind of confusing for me now... :) Eventually we will be moving to PR. So we would like to buy a GPS unit (good enough for GC; we don't need any fancy features for now :laughing: ) that can work in both places and more if we travel. What are your suggestions?

Thanks all for your help! :)

Hello all!

We are the Ortiz-Leon Family. We want to start geocaching this summer and we actually live in Ft. Collins Colorado. I've heard many threads about Colorado, but everything is kind of confusing for me now... :) Eventually we will be moving to PR. So we would like to buy a GPS unit (good enough for GC; we don't need any fancy features for now :laughing: ) that can work in both places and more if we travel. What are your suggestions?

There are quite a few unit that will work. Depends on what your price range is and whether you want a mapping gps or not.

Check out the www.garmin.com then click on their products for on the trail. You can even compare features on that site once you get there.

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

The comparison page on the Garmin site is a good place to start. I recommend getting an 'H' unit that connects with USB if you are on a budget. The best, least-expensive unit in that group is the Legend HCx which sells for around $185.00 online.

Hello all!

We are the Ortiz-Leon Family. We want to start geocaching this summer and we actually live in Ft. Collins Colorado. I've heard many threads about Colorado, but everything is kind of confusing for me now... :laughing: Eventually we will be moving to PR. So we would like to buy a GPS unit (good enough for GC; we don't need any fancy features for now :) ) that can work in both places and more if we travel. What are your suggestions?

Any Garmin GPS unit is a good one for geocaching since it is compatible with the download to GPS feature on the site. I suggest the Garmin GPSmap series: I am currently using the GPSmap 60CSx ... these are not too pricey and has enough features for geocaching. Plus, Garmin has a wide variety of maps that can be downloaded onto the handheld to suit for geocaching at any location :)

I suggest the following tips to consider before making your purchase:

1) Check customer reviews on signal reception

2) Make sure it is water proof (most are) and perhaps even crush proof as well :)

3) Consider how much space you really need: you wouldn't want to purchase a GPS with lots of memory space and end up only using a couple MBs. However, maps do take up a lot of memory, so if you plan on holding multiple maps on the GPS, then you should purchase one with a memory card.

Hope this helps. B)