Maps - SD or Internal Memory? Total Newb

boboso

Since I have no idea... I have a couple of questions regarding maps...

I have ordered a Garmin Colorado 300 as well as City Navitgator NT and Topo DVDs for Mac. My intent for this unit was hiking, waypointing/mapping, and geocaching. Figured the City Nav to be a good thing as well...

Questions:

1) Is there any on-line instructions available regarding using the DVDs and related maps? I love to research beforehand (yes I am the one who reads instructions... :ph34r:)

2) Once I have the "use" down... is it recommended that I load the maps to internal memory or to the SD card?

After I use this unit for a while I am sure to have many more questions... Love the site, best I have found so far and it has got me hooked on geocaching. In my area alone I have noted quite a few caches, and plan on doing many myself for others. Being a docent and avid hiker and mountain biker, I am sure to leave a few "challenges" out there...!

Edited by boboso

I wish I could help, but I have a lowly Vista HCx . . . ;) Over in the GPS and Technology Forum you'll find lots and lots and lots of info about the Garmin Colorado.

Welcome to the addiction . . . :ph34r:

Thanks! I have pretty much read everything on the internet regarding the Colorado and decided it was a good unit after a hands on at REI. The bugs, and other hang ups don't bother me, yet... we will see.

Not too much on map use, loading of maps etc. Mainly gripes (and some accolades) on the unit, rather than use etc. So I assume the gripes come from early units, those experienced and used to other units and not familiar with interface (I found it, as a total newb) to be very intuitive.

I wanted a GPS for my hiking and docent work (we often see animals and of course features in the same areas) and found this geocaching activity which looks like a blast!