Paperless with 64-bit Vista OS

I hope someone will have some ideas for me. We are planning a trip soon and I am running into major PDA problems.

We use a Garmin 60 CSx and a 60CS right now (Also have a 76CS and two Lengends) and we've been using a Palm IIIxe and a Zire 31 for PDAs. We just got a new computer, running 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I usually use GSAK & Cachemate.

I usually create caches along a route and use GSAK to send the info to our GPSs and PDAs. I use a GSAK string that gives me the basics of the cache--terrain/difficulty, container size and type plus a wee bit of the hint (which is sometimes useful, but usually a waste of space with wordy hints). I use the PDA to read every cache page before we go after the cache. (Yes, I really do read them before I go to the cache).

GSAK works fine, and sends the data to the GPS units just beautifully--so I can still plan the trip, but ....

I can't get the info into either of the Palms ---I like the computer, but the 64-bit operating system doesn't have a lot of support out there yet in the way of drivers for this and that--and most especially, none for our Palms. The new computer only has USB ports and there isn't a driver for the 9-pin serial to USB adaptor that plays well with the 64-bit OS--So I can't hot sync my Palm IIIxe.

I can't get my husband's Zire 31 to hotsync either-and none of the newer Palm uploads support the 64-bit OS. I went ahead and tried the Palm 6.2 upload, just in case that would work, but no, the computer still tells me it can't locate the drivers for the device.

I hope there is some way to get his Zire to communicate with the computer. If I could do that, I could beam the info to my PDA. Any help?

Also: Palm has promised a new app "sometime this summer" that will support the 64-bit platform...but if that doesn't pan out, does anyone have any suggestions for other less expensive PDAs that will work with 64-bit OS? I hate to spend $100+ on something I know I'm going to drop on the rocks or dunk in a creek at some point.

Edited by Neos2

Gentle bump- I really do need help here folks. If someone could even tell me how to get Cachemate onto a Zire 31 with this 64-bit OS on my computer it would help.

There are no drivers that work with 64-bit Vista OS and Palm Zire 31 at this time. If remember right, I always sent everything to the PDA via the PalmOne desktop--including Cachemate.

If I can just get Cachemate onto the Zire 31, I can put future PQs on the cardreader and send them to the Zire then beam everything to my Palm IIIxe.

I think.

I doubt anyone can help you. Palm doesn't find compelling (not enough users to warrant new development) to write 64-bit drivers. You have two (or three) choices. Replace 64-bit OS with 32-bit counterpart, dump Zire 31 and replace it with something that does have 64-bit drivers.

Slightly longer shot is to install virtual OS (with something like VMware) and install 32-bit guest OS for purpose of using PalmOne Desktop in it.

I hope someone will have some ideas for me. We are planning a trip soon and I am running into major PDA problems.

We use a Garmin 60 CSx and a 60CS right now (Also have a 76CS and two Lengends) and we've been using a Palm IIIxe and a Zire 31 for PDAs. We just got a new computer, running 64-bit Vista Home Premium. I usually use GSAK & Cachemate.

I usually create caches along a route and use GSAK to send the info to our GPSs and PDAs. I use a GSAK string that gives me the basics of the cache--terrain/difficulty, container size and type plus a wee bit of the hint (which is sometimes useful, but usually a waste of space with wordy hints). I use the PDA to read every cache page before we go after the cache. (Yes, I really do read them before I go to the cache).

GSAK works fine, and sends the data to the GPS units just beautifully--so I can still plan the trip, but ....

I can't get the info into either of the Palms ---I like the computer, but the 64-bit operating system doesn't have a lot of support out there yet in the way of drivers for this and that--and most especially, none for our Palms. The new computer only has USB ports and there isn't a driver for the 9-pin serial to USB adaptor that plays well with the 64-bit OS--So I can't hot sync my Palm IIIxe.

I can't get my husband's Zire 31 to hotsync either-and none of the newer Palm uploads support the 64-bit OS. I went ahead and tried the Palm 6.2 upload, just in case that would work, but no, the computer still tells me it can't locate the drivers for the device.

I hope there is some way to get his Zire to communicate with the computer. If I could do that, I could beam the info to my PDA. Any help?

Also: Palm has promised a new app "sometime this summer" that will support the 64-bit platform...but if that doesn't pan out, does anyone have any suggestions for other less expensive PDAs that will work with 64-bit OS? I hate to spend $100+ on something I know I'm going to drop on the rocks or dunk in a creek at some point.

See if this helps you any.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=237141

What I did when I went paperless, I bought a HP IPAQ 2795 with a heavy duty protective case with a caribiner. So I just clip it to my pack or belt buckle when out. Don't have to worry about it getting damaged.

I have been running Vista 64 Ultimate for about 2 years now. You can try a couple things right off. When you install the drivers be sure you right click and "Run as Administrator". You can also right click and choose "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. There you can choose to run a program with compatibility for several previous operating systems. Neither of these may work, because it is oriented to programs, and it sounds like you are having a driver problem.

I was having several problems with some older software I needed to use so I purchased a cheep second hard drive and setup a dual boot for Windows XP. You leave the current drive as it is, and install XP on the new drive. Then you setup the Vista boot manager to let you pick at start up. You can also setup XP on the same disk as Vista, but I have no idea how to do that.

Do a search on google/yahoo for "setup Vista XP dual boot" and you will get lots of tutorials. I use Vista 64 about 95% of the time, but it is great to be able to restart into XP and have all my older programs still running.

This is a link for installing XP on the same drive you already have Vista on.

Another one for installing XP along side Vista on the same drive.

Of course I had a retail copy of XP. If you don't, then the dual boot may be a little more costly.

Edited by GPS_Runner

Do a search on google/yahoo for "setup Vista XP dual boot" and you will get lots of tutorials. I use Vista 64 about 95% of the time, but it is great to be able to restart into XP and have all my older programs still running.

This is a link for installing XP on the same drive you already have Vista on.

Another one for installing XP along side Vista on the same drive.

Of course I had a retail copy of XP. If you don't, then the dual boot may be a little more costly.

Thanks for the interesting suggestion. I do have an external drive--actually I turned my old hard drive into an external drive. I thought it would be a handy way to transfer all my old files over to the new system--turns out most of them don't have 64-bit drivers yet. I'll have to check into seeing what I can get to run on the external drive.

I did have a copy of XP, but I don't any more--long story, basically a computer shop was doing a new build for me and after they installed the third motherboard of the same type in a month, they realized they had an entire bad batch--so they dropped their motherboard and a compatible hard drive in my machine while they waited for the ones I had ordered to come in--and then they went out of business. Yep, when I went back to ask why I hadn't heard from them, the store was empty --no contact info--and as far as I know none of those guys ever showed their faces in town again. They had a my installation disks (so they could keep putting it back on for me everytime they changed things out) and it went with them, I guess. (Of course, I got a way better motherboard and hard drive out of the deal than what I had ordered, so it wasn't all bad). I'll have to see what educational copies are running these days, I guess.