Rino 530 HCX doesn't show speed when walking slowly

I recently got 3 Rino 530 HCX and have several issues with them. The biggest issue is that they are easily 200 feet off and thus are unusable for Geocaching. I'm in contact with Garmin and have now tried several things that were suggested by them (autolocating, resetting). Normally I wouldn't look at my walking speed, but today I happened to look at it while testing the units again. I noticed that all three units were showing 0 for speed while my 60 CSx was showing between 1.7 and 2.3 miles/hour. During my 20 minute walk the Rinos would only from time to time (every 30-60 seconds) show a speed and then they would most often show a higher speed then the 60 CSx. Has anyone seen this before? Could that be related to the problem I'm having?

The new Rino's have the same chipset as the HCX has so it will have the same problems. I know this because I have two of the new Rino's... its just something that you must learn to work with like walk a little faster when you want a reading. I personally don't care about my speed or the distance I walked so its no big deal to me.

The new Rino's have the same chipset as the HCX has so it will have the same problems. I know this because I have two of the new Rino's... its just something that you must learn to work with like walk a little faster when you want a reading. I personally don't care about my speed or the distance I walked so its no big deal to me.

I don't really care for the speed either - it was just on observation that might have helped pinpointing the problem. What I care a lot about is my location. Did you take your two units geocaching? I have done it now several times and it is almost impossible for my children to find geocaches with them, while they find them easily with the 60CSx. The Rino 530 HCx is between 50 and 300 feet off and once we are at the cache (with the help of the 60CSx) we notice that the Rino's track is moving on the screen towards the cache. So while we are there for a couple of minutes the Rinos move to the right location. When we start to walk, they will drift away again. When we stop again, they will drift back to the right location. How is your geocaching experience?

The most recent Etrex update improved this (2.6/2.6)-however the fix may be casuing other problems, such as an occasional glitch in accuracy. Read this:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186593 before you decide to apply any updates.

The newest version for the Rinos is 2.5. Since my main problem is the location (which is easily over a 100 feet off) and the units are useless right now for geocaching I would upgrade in a heartbeat. The speed issue was just an observation I made and I hoped it would help pinpoint the issue -otherwise it is secondary. Location, location, location ...

I recently got 3 Rino 530 HCX and have several issues with them. The biggest issue is that they are easily 200 feet off and thus are unusable for Geocaching. I'm in contact with Garmin and have now tried several things that were suggested by them (autolocating, resetting). Normally I wouldn't look at my walking speed, but today I happened to look at it while testing the units again. I noticed that all three units were showing 0 for speed while my 60 CSx was showing between 1.7 and 2.3 miles/hour. During my 20 minute walk the Rinos would only from time to time (every 30-60 seconds) show a speed and then they would most often show a higher speed then the 60 CSx. Has anyone seen this before? Could that be related to the problem I'm having?

OK, to go a little off-topic here, all I can think about after reading this post is of someone walking around with a 60CSx and 3 Rinos in hand :) Any chance you could post a picture of this, or at least describe the setup?

OK, to go a little off-topic here, all I can think about after reading this post is of someone walking around with a 60CSx and 3 Rinos in hand :mad: Any chance you could post a picture of this, or at least describe the setup?

Fully understood :o I held two units (60CSx and one Rino) in my hands and had the other two Rinos on belt clips. At known locations I would take the two Rinos of the belt to check how much they are off, how many satellites they are seeing, what their accuracy is. I met a couple of people in the forest who were smiling at me or making comments. They must have thought I'm really scared to get lost :)

Edited by Orienteering

Heres my setup, Lets just say Im never lost.

th.c58266f036.jpg

That is an impressive collection :) I see several Rinos in that picture. Have you used them for geocaching? What is their accuracy? Are they HCx models? My brandnew 530 HCx is useless for geocaching. I walk slowly towards the cache with 8+ satellites in good view and an accuracy of +-16 feet and can't find it because I'm really over 100 feet (sometimes 300 feet) away from my true location. So I have to use the 60CSx to find the cache. I never know whether I can trust the 530 HCx. This is very frustrating - given the money I paid for the three Rinos I bought

Edited by Orienteering

I don't really care for the speed either - it was just on observation that might have helped pinpointing the problem. What I care a lot about is my location. Did you take your two units geocaching? I have done it now several times and it is almost impossible for my children to find geocaches with them, while they find them easily with the 60CSx. The Rino 530 HCx is between 50 and 300 feet off and once we are at the cache (with the help of the 60CSx) we notice that the Rino's track is moving on the screen towards the cache. So while we are there for a couple of minutes the Rinos move to the right location. When we start to walk, they will drift away again. When we stop again, they will drift back to the right location. How is your geocaching experience?

My family and I have log alot of Geocaches since we got our Rino's and I must say that they seem to be just as good as my 60CSX (which I sold) if not better. I can tell you that my "shown accuracy" reading is always better than the 60CSX would give me. Many of the Geocache's we have done were dead on if they were in an open area where the hider could also get a good reading. I always walk within 50ft. at a steady pace then look ahead in that direction at about 50ft. I still keep walking but yes once you get to what the GPS thinks is "ground zero" it will jump around 20 or 30 FT. Sometimes I walk at it from different angles and that will help me obtain the right location.

The newest version for the Rinos is 2.5. Since my main problem is the location (which is easily over a 100 feet off) and the units are useless right now for geocaching I would upgrade in a heartbeat. The speed issue was just an observation I made and I hoped it would help pinpoint the issue -otherwise it is secondary. Location, location, location ...

Speaking of your original problem, have you checked your datum setting and the position format? I didn't see that mentioned in any of the posts, but may have overlooked it.

My family and I have log alot of Geocaches since we got our Rino's and I must say that they seem to be just as good as my 60CSX (which I sold) if not better. I can tell you that my "shown accuracy" reading is always better than the 60CSX would give me. Many of the Geocache's we have done were dead on if they were in an open area where the hider could also get a good reading. I always walk within 50ft. at a steady pace then look ahead in that direction at about 50ft. I still keep walking but yes once you get to what the GPS thinks is "ground zero" it will jump around 20 or 30 FT. Sometimes I walk at it from different angles and that will help me obtain the right location.

So there is hope :) May be the lot my three units came from is bad. These units drift off from the true location by 100-200 feet and stay there while I keep walking slowly (around 2 miles/hour). When I stop for a couple of minutes they drift back to the correct location. But they show all the time lots of satellites with good reception and accuracy of +-20 feet and better (+-7 feet in open areas). That provides a totally wrong sense of "knowing where I am".

Can you provide more details for your units. 530HCx? SW 2.5? GPS SW 2.4? Cipset Type B? There must be something that is different for my 3 Rinos.

Speaking of your original problem, have you checked your datum setting and the position format? I didn't see that mentioned in any of the posts, but may have overlooked it.

I have the same settings as on my 60CSx

Datum: WGS 84

Position Format: hddd mm.mmm'

Can you provide more details for your units. 530HCx? SW 2.5? GPS SW 2.4? Cipset Type B? There must be something that is different for my 3 Rinos.

2.50/2.40 and as far as the chipset, how do I tell which one I have? I have two of the 520HCX units.

Edited by Jeff in Pa

2.50/2.40 and as far as the chipset, how do I tell which one I have? I have two of the 520HCX units.

When you use WebUpdater it will tell you that you have the latest version and then ask you whether you want to check for additional updates. If I click next I find an update for Chipset Type B. Now I wonder whether there might ne different Chipsets in different HCx units. My nuevi shows chipset M.

My wife and I both use the Rino 530 HCx and the kids have the etrex- our units are dead on 95% of the time and had no known problems since Feb 2008- I checked walking speed and both were good today- so yes there is hope- we love the units!

I bought a Rino 530Hcx in early May. I've had great success with it. My only gripe is the need to occasionally recalibrate the electronic compass. Accuracy has been great and I've also used it quite a bit for road navigation with the City Navigator maps. I have not experienced any drift or poor accuracy when out caching.

SW 2.50, GPS SW 2.40

I haven't done the GPS Chipset Type B update. There was no description for it and a search here on the forums didn't turn up much of anything. Does anyone know what the Chipset Type B update does?