Entering the coordinates manualy

Spade Cooley

I loaded up the programs including easy GPS and tried to download into my GPS and failed. Three GEocache sites were saved. I need to punch in something and I'm not doing it right. The map page was open at the time. Now I'm trying to figure out how to enter the coordinants manually and the I'm not finding it in the book. If you would, please tell me what buttons to push and where to start. I think I have the rocker kee figured out.

If you hold the "click stick" down, it will create a waypoint in your present location. Navigate up to the coordinates and Edit those to the ones of the cache. Double check those manually-entered coordinates to make sure you get them correct. Give that Waypoint a Name and change the icon to the closed Treasure Chest and then the Waypoint will behave like a Geocache, if that is the icon you have set for Geocaches on the GPS unit.

If you have installed the USB driver, using EasyGPS to send the waypoints to your GPSr should work after you have set it up correctly,

"Three GEocache sites were saved"

Then, you didn't fail. If you entered the coords wrong in EasyGPS, you get an immediate error message. Once you send the waypoints to the GPS, they all go together. I believe if you view waypoints by closest to your present location, you only view the ones within a certain distance - I think that's 50 miles. If you search by waypoint name, you'll find all the waypoints.

One way to confirm what is in your GPS is to upload the waypoints into EasyGPS, or MapSource.

Before entering the coords manually, check that your GPS is set to the same datum and format that the webpage uses. The datum is WGS 84; the format is hddd mm.mmm . To view your settings, hit menu-menu-Setup-Units.

Edit: Oops, this is Chuy!; I was logged in under our geodog's account.

Edited by Mocha!

Spade,

I'm new to GPSing and Geocaching myself. Just got my eTrex HCX last week and was able to 'push' some geocache waypoints from geocaching.com directly to my device (Send To My Device). Then I could open MapSource and transfer data in from the GPS to my MapSource. Now I have all sorts of local waypoints in both my GPS unit and my MapSource program.

The only problem I'm running into is that the first time I click the button to send the waypoint from Geocaching.com into my GPS, a separate browser window opens and reports it can't find any devices. So (every time) I hit F5 (reload) and the web page reloads, finds my device, and then I can click the button to Send To Device. Bada bing, and Bob's your uncle!

Only explaining all of this to let you know how I (with a similar setup) am able to make things work. Let me know if you want more specifics as to what I'm doing/what's working for me.

Cheers.