Help choosing a GPS unit for a beginner please :)

My first post here, delighted to FINALLY be able to buy a GPS unit and "get back" to geocaching. I went geocaching 4 years ago with a friend using her unit and loved the experience. Now that I'm finally buying one I'm completely lost, there seems to be too many options out there.. I will be mainly using the unit for geocaching but will also need to learn how to use a GPS unit for future jobs (GIS). This is what I'm looking for in a unit..

- EASY to use. I get frustrated a bit too easily.. Let's just say that I switched from PC to Mac a few years back because I love the user friendliness of a Mac. So I'm looking for something similar with a GPS unit. A little frustration is always expected with new gadgets and I do know how to read directions, I just appreciate " easy stuff".. :rolleyes:

- Price must be below $300. I'd be a happy camper if I could get away spending only $200.

- Buttons need to be below the screen or on the side, I prefer the first option.

- Is color screen really a luxury? Color would be nice..

So far I've looked at Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Handheld GPS and Earthmate GPS PN-20.

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

The Garmin 60CSx is an excellent choice if you want the buttons in front below the screen. If you want a more compact GPS unit that costs less, look at the Vista HCx. It has almost all the same capabilities as the 60CSx in a smaller package with the buttons on the side, except for the "click stick."

I personally use Macintosh as my computer of choice. I'm going to recommend you look at MacCaching for managing your geocaches. http://www.maccaching.com/

Personally I own a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx which is essentially the same exact hardware in a different case, buttons are above the screen on the 76CSx while the 60CSx are below the screen. There are also a couple of other differences between the two units, IE 76CSx is waterproof and will float. To my knowledge the 60CSx should work perfectly well with the Macintosh. For me I just plug the 76CSx into a USB port and MacCaching will send the geocaches right to the unit without any problems.

I know a lot of people will recommend the 60CSx and probably the Venture HCX units. The best thing to do if its possible is go to a local store and hold/play around with their selection of GPS units. who knows you might find a different unit other than the 60CSx that you like a lot more.