Nuvi 250W not working

I just got my Garmin nuvi250W in the mail yesterday. It is a refurbished unit. It worked fine right out of the box but it did not have very much battery. No problem. My cell phone uses USB to charge so when we got in the car I used my cell phone cable to charge it. I turned it on and it went through the normal screens and then acted like it was hooked up to the PC. When I unplugged it it worked fine again. When I got home I hooked to the PC with a reg-to-mini USB cable and that all seemed to go fine. I put some GPX files on it from my other GPS and the unhooked it from the PC. Now when I turn it on it gets to the "loading maps..." page and turns off after about 10 seconds. I need help!!! I did a hard reset and it still doesn't work. Any ideas before I return it? Thanks in advance!

Hold the lower right-hand corner of the screen while powering on to go into maintenance mode. This will allow you to return the unit to factory settings, though you will lose all data. If you can, backup the unit first to save favorites.

That's what I meant by hard reset. I already did one of those and it still won't go past the "loading maps" screen. :unsure: I am shipping it back today, then tomarrow I will go buy one from Circuit City for a a little more. Oh-well.

Hold the lower right-hand corner of the screen while powering on to go into maintenance mode. This will allow you to return the unit to factory settings, though you will lose all data. If you can, backup the unit first to save favorites.

That's what I meant by hard reset. I already did one of those and it still won't go past the "loading maps" screen. :angry: I am shipping it back today, then tomarrow I will go buy one from Circuit City for a a little more. Oh-well.

My 250W does the same thing when the battery is dead. The usb computer cable won't charge it. The only way to charge it is with the car charger. I bet you have a dead battery.

Ok. Now I have purchased a Nuvi200W and was working great. Now I am having the same problem as before. I think I know what is causing this, problem is I don't know how to fix it. What I did was I plugged the GPS into the computer and opened the Garmin drive. Went into the first of two folders and then into a folder titles "GPX". Inside of this folder there is a GPX file titled "current". That's great. I got a PQ today with 500 geocaches and copied and pasted this file into the "GPX" folder in the Garmin. Now it won't get past the "loading maps..." screen, just like last time. If it is plugged into a power source it will stay on this screen forever, if it is not plugged in it will turn off after about 10-15 seconds. I did a hard reset (hold the bottom right corner until asked to clear data) and it still does the same thing. Can anyone help me with this? I really don't want to return this and get yet another unit... :rolleyes:

P.S. I didn't have a dead battery. I am so upset, I wish I could just get this to work... I don't want to give up on this but it sure makes you want to.

Edited by Arndtwe