Jott.com

bunkerdave

This is a tool that lets users CALL a phone number and speak something they want to have in text, a cache log, for example. You then get an e-mail sent to your box with the transcription of your message. I plan on using this to log caches, and see how it works. It seems to do a great job, except it thinks CACHE is CASH. (I wish)

Anyway, it's sure easier than typing, or trying to remember what you did and where after a caching blitz of 40+ finds. Now we just need to get GC.com to implement this kind of functionality into the site, and there will be no reason not to have every cache logged immediately, DNFs included. (Speaking to myself on this one, more than anyone else.)

I used this on every cache I found (or not) on my trip to GW6, and it is working famously. Except for a few logs where I had too much ambient noise, I had a great e-mail (and recording) of every cache when I got home. I just pasted it into the log.

I had one cacher suggest an idea for a macro that would look up the cache, and enter that e-mail into the cache page as my log. I would assume this would need to be activated, but I bet it could even be automated to run every 24 hours or so, which would basically mean that my days of typing logs are over.

I was thinking...I bet a lot of people would subscribe to GC.com just for this feature alone. And it would seem that the quality of logs would improve dramatically, as well. And the feedback on cache maintenance and DNFs would be very useful, as well.

I used to use Jott to call in my tweets for Twitter. It does a decent job, but it is not perfect. Fixing spelling errors grew to be a pain and I have since abandoned the idea. Using it to log caches is an interesting idea. Good to see interesting technology put to use.

I thought it sounded interesting but then I saw this quoted on their web site

Jott is currently only available to US and Canadian subscribers.

So that eliminates Geocachers from every country in the world except 2. :D Shame really as it would have made a nice addon to GSP

I've used it for some things, like some text messages and reminders for myself. It seems pretty good except for the occasional spelling error. My only concern is that I'm going to jott something to a group that includes kids, and have it translate something into a profanity.

Cache logs? I never thought of that - something like that would be great!

What I do, is after I log a cache, while I am walking to my car I will just call the number and the first thing I do is say the name of the cache. Then I would say if I found it or not, and what the condition of the cache is. Then I can add whatever other information I feel is relevant and helpful to the cache owner, or that I would like to include in my log.

There are plenty of spelling errors, but it seems to depend mostly on how clearly I am speaking, and ambient noise. It's nice to have all that information about cache, tho, and it also records an audio file of the call, if there is any question about what I really said.

What I do, is after I log a cache, while I am walking to my car I will just call the number and the first thing I do is say the name of the cache. Then I would say if I found it or not, and what the condition of the cache is. Then I can add whatever other information I feel is relevant and helpful to the cache owner, or that I would like to include in my log.

There are plenty of spelling errors, but it seems to depend mostly on how clearly I am speaking, and ambient noise. It's nice to have all that information about cache, tho, and it also records an audio file of the call, if there is any question about what I really said.

We've got a local cacher that does something similar, but he simply calls his answering machine and leaves himself a voicemail.