GPS Drawing

I call BS. The delivery company would have to make so many unsceduled routes and stops. Even if he made the attempt as claimed, it wouldn't look anything like that. It would look more like modern art than a portrait. And how does the GPS battery last 55 days? How did the GPS never lose signal lock while packed ina case, packed with tons of other boxes inside of plane, train and boats and auto? And if he was along for the entire trip, why "mail" the GPS package? He had an Etrex in his hand in part of the movie. I'd like to know the details, because too much of this doesn't add up.

Edited by scuba dude

Personally, I don't think I'd put the money into an art project like this. But other artists (such as Christo, SUBONE, and Gelitin), have spent millions on other such art projects (such as Spiral Getty, The Gates, The Roden Crater, The Journey, Hase at Colletto Fava). I can only imagine how much time and energy he must have put in to research to make sure:

1. the batteries didn't die out. I've heard of batteries that can last a long time.
  2. that the GPS unit would not lose signal lock (or at least for any significant time).
  3. the planes, trains and automobiles would actually follow such a precise route. You'd just have to ask the carrier.

It's still pretty new, but I imagine over time, it'll get more coverage. Especially since DHL can verify it for any reporter looking into this story.

SUBONE also uses GPS units to make what he calls "aerial graffiti".

Difficult and time consuming, yes. Expensive, yes. Impossible, I don't think so.