Colorado 300 Projection

The only way I have been able to use a projection is with Site and Go, however, I have to use the compass and then lock the direction. Is there any way to manually enter the direction when calculating a projection? :grin:

Mark a waypoint, select the waypoint, goto Options->Project Waypoint.

GO$Rs

Hello, I am a noob to GPS'ing (and possibly an idiot)

Would you please explain what projection is and why or how you are using it? How is it different from Site and go whatever that does?

maybe there is a FAQ or tutorial that you know about?

This usually comes up with multi-stage caches. The cache description might give you the coordinates for an intermediate waypoint (not the final). At that waypoint, you might find a cache container with additional directions to the next waypoint. In some cases, those directions will be something like "proceed 500 meters on a heading of 100 degrees magnetic." Your GPSr helps you with this. This operation is known as "projecting a waypoint".

On the Colorado, you start this operation by marking a waypoint at your current location (if you don't already have one). Then you project from that point as GO$Rs explained. Basically, this involves entering the distance and bearing. The Colorado will give you the coordinates of the new point and, if I remember correctly, the option of saving it as a waypoint or just navigating to it. It's usually safer to save it as a waypoint. That way, if you do something that cancels navigation, you can re-start it later.

Although I've never done it, it is possible to do this with "Sight and Go." Sight and Go involves the use of the compass on the Colorado. This is conceptually similar to using a regular magnetic compass. You rotate your body (and your unit) until you are facing in the direction of the specified heading. With a regular compass, you would just "sight" along the bearing, locate a landmark (such as a big tree) along the bearing, and walk toward it. With the Colorado, you can actually create a waypoint at a specified distance along the bearing and then navigate to it. This is a reasonable feature for the purpose for which it was intended, but it's a cumbersome way to project a waypoint when you know the distance and bearing already.

If you do run into this situation on a multi-stage cache, be sure your unit is set to magnetic or true north, according to the type of bearing given in the cache description. There is almost always some difference (called declination) between true north and magnetic north. Declination varies according to your location. In some places, it can be quite substantial. For example, in Yellowstone National park, it's about 14 degrees east. Obviously, this can cause a substantial navigation error, even over short distances. In Missouri, where I live, it's only 2 degrees east -- but that's still enough to put you 50 or 100 meters from the final.

directions to the next waypoint. In some cases, those directions will be something like "proceed 500 meters on a heading of 100 degrees magnetic." Your GPSr helps you with this. This operation is known as "projecting a waypoint".

You reminded us to be sure to set the CO to magnetic if we were using true. Don't forget setting feet to meters too (in the U.S. only perhaps). What I'd like to know more of is how you set the waypoint 100 meters away? How do you read this/set this on the CO?

I might be inclined to get my magnetic bearing and want to start walking 328 feet in that direction. How do I measure off 328 feet (100 M)?

Thanks.

You reminded us to be sure to set the CO to magnetic if we were using true. Don't forget setting feet to meters too (in the U.S. only perhaps). What I'd like to know more of is how you set the waypoint 100 meters away? How do you read this/set this on the CO?

I might be inclined to get my magnetic bearing and want to start walking 328 feet in that direction. How do I measure off 328 feet (100 M)?

Thanks.

When you make a projection you'll be asked to input two pieces of information, bearing and distance. I'm assuming that if you have mag/true set properly before the projection the CO will use the bearing you give it during the projection as that type. As for the distance units you'll be asked during the projection what the units you want to use and how far away, no need to convert or switch units settings.

GO$Rs

When you make a projection you'll be asked to input two pieces of information, bearing and distance. I'm assuming that if you have mag/true set properly before the projection the CO will use the bearing you give it during the projection as that type. As for the distance units you'll be asked during the projection what the units you want to use and how far away, no need to convert or switch units settings.

GO$Rs

Cool--thanks.

GO$Rs

The dumb thing with the CO is, however, that you can only put one decimal place in, regardless of whether you're entering miles or feet. So, to get the projection accurate enough to easily find a cache, you need to convert any miles given to feet, otherwise, we're off by a considerable amount!

Fortunately, the recent cache I did with a projection requirement gave both miles and feet, making the job easy.

Edited by Dosido

Depending on the exact nature of the problem statement, it may also be possible to get the result you want by projecting two waypoints in sequence (projecting the second from the first). This is not always useful, but can sometimes be used to avoid the need to convert units.

Edited to add: This works best with metric measurements. For example, if you must project 3.86km, you can project 3km, then 860m. Doesn't work anywhere near as well with our screwed up English system of measurement.

Edited by twolpert