Garmin GPS 12Map and what I can do with it

Hi there,

Great place here. A friend of mine got me onto geocaching and I have since inherited a Garmin GPS 12 Map with Roads and Rec, MapSource and Topo Discs for it from the same era as the unit (around 2001 I think).

After some help here I was able to upload the Roads and Rec maps to the GPS unit.

My question is really more general to the 12 Map than anything else. I am looking for an expert in the Garmin GPS 12 Map to give me hints as to it's capabilities.

Right now I make a new Waypoint in the GPS unit by typing in a name and the coordinates using the rocker switch. My guess is there is a better solution. (BTW, this is a serial cord connection)

I also have a PPC phone that I would like to try paperless with, but thats for another topic...

Essentially, what do the experts do with this unit?

What are all the tips and tricks?

Can you upload routes? Trails that you find online? POI's?

Whats can you download from the unit and why would you?

Should I upgrade the Firmware to 2.05 from 2.03?

Can you have both Road & Rec maps and Topo maps loaded at the same time? Can you have both running?

Think if it as a primer for geocaching with an old GPS.

Thanks!

Phlerb

Edited by Phlerb

It should still work fine. It's a 12 channel receiver so reception should be good. I believe it only supports six character waypoint names so you might have to use software that can drop the "GC" from the latest geocaches codes.

Definitely get the interface cable to avoid "fat finger" syndrome. It's no fun to be looking for a cache in the wrong spot when you've accidentally transposed numbers.

It should still work fine. It's a 12 channel receiver so reception should be good. I believe it only supports six character waypoint names so you might have to use software that can drop the "GC" from the latest geocaches codes.

Definitely get the interface cable to avoid "fat finger" syndrome. It's no fun to be looking for a cache in the wrong spot when you've accidentally transposed numbers.

Yes, it does only have 6 character waypoint names.

I do have an interface cable so have uploaded some Road & Rec maps for my area onto the unit.