Ever download the wrong coordinates?

willpond

We downloaded the coordinates to a catch onto our Garmin Vista HCX then we went on the hunt. We triangulated the approx. area then moved in for the find, the location was a heavy tree line approx. 100 yards off the road. After 45 minutes of searching we gave up and drove home without the find! I checked the coordinates on the website and found I was off by 1.5 miles! :anicute: (explains why we failed to find :D !). Manually entered the numbers and found the cache without a problem. Does this happen on occasion or did I just screw up my data transfer? We are new to the hobby and are learning slowly!

Ok, here is what happened when I had the problem. There is a mode you get into on the gps that allows you to 'move' the waypoint. For me this happened accidently when I was trying to click on it. Most likely what happened was you accidently moved the waypoint after it was loaded in. Im still really new to this so I dont yet have it down exactly how I did it but I know thats what I did when it happened.

BTW still didnt find my cache with the right coords but it looks like it was probably muggled :huh:

Thanks for the help, that is what I did I moved the waypoint! What a dumb a** I can be! Just did it on purpose, and now I remember seeing the "MOVE" show up when I was in map mode and I moved the little treasure chest icon and relocated it. Well two weeks into this new hobby and I'm slowly creeping up the learning curve! One day I will know how to use the functions on my GPS! Guess I better see how many others I screwed up! On the bright side had a nice hike and some fun with my daughter! Again thanks for the help! :huh:

Glad that helps! I did it and after I looked at the paperless caching info I was like CRAP i moved it by accident. We hand corrected the cords and were definitely in the right area then! We are still trying to figure out all the stuff with the GPS too, it really doesnt help that the manual really stinks!

GL Have fun!

I've downloaded caches incorrectly when entering them by hand before--that was one of the reasons I decided to get a premium membership.

The only time I scooted the waypoint out of place on the gps, I realized what I had done while I was doing it--and looked it up in the PDA to make sure I got it back to the right spot.

The only other really odd thing I've ever done was to get some benchmarks into the wrong database. It took me a bit to figure out what those unfamiliar symbols were on the gps while hunting caches.

I stopped entering coords by hand after I had one take me to a guard rail for a micro. I searched all over and couldn't find it, yet everyone else could. Went out caching with my cousin and stopped at the same spot. Turns out my cords were off by 400 ft. and I just happened to have the wrong cords take to me a guard rail.

I had a few problems with downloaded cords but that turned out to be a firmware problem. Now when I do a multi I check the cords I enter twice.