Colorado - Loading Caches

How do most Colorado owners load caches to the Colorado? Do you need to use GSAK if you use pocket queries? I just ordered a 400t and I did a search in the forums but didn't find any info on this quickly. It seems I read somewhere that Geocaching.com had a special format for the Garmin Colorado. It would seem that GSAK would still be useful for sorting.,etc. Does the Colorado have the ability to keep the caches in seperate databases like Cachmate does? Thanks. Sli23sli

How do most Colorado owners load caches to the Colorado? Do you need to use GSAK if you use pocket queries? I just ordered a 400t and I did a search in the forums but didn't find any info on this quickly. It seems I read somewhere that Geocaching.com had a special format for the Garmin Colorado. It would seem that GSAK would still be useful for sorting.,etc. Does the Colorado have the ability to keep the caches in seperate databases like Cachmate does? Thanks. Sli23sli

I am guessing that people use a combination of these ways :

1) Copy a pocket query GPX file directly to the GPX directory on their Colorado

2) Create a GPX file from GSAK and copy to the GPX directory on their Colorado ( I do it this way as I have about six pocket queries for the Phoenix area and want to eliminate duplicate geocaches for overlapping pocket query areas )

3) Load individual caches directly from the cache page

I use the Colorado GPX Export macro in GSAK and it works great.

I use the Colorado GPX Export macro in GSAK and it works great.

The macro cleans things up a bit. It allows you to merge a number of caches into one file and then transfer that file to your Colorado as a "caches" file which replaces the existing one. You can still drag individual waypoints into the folder if you please. I like to create a "Garmin 400t" file that contains all the waypoints I want to push. When I run the macro it pushes that file into the Colorado renaming it "caches" which replaces ONLY the existing "caches" file. To me it's much easier and cleaner. I set everything up the way I want it the "Garmin 400t" file. I also have a 60CSx and a Quest and each one has it's own set of caches. The reason I use separate files is because of the max. waypoint restrictions and settings. The Colorado will handle 2000, the 60CSx 1000 and the Quest 500. I hope all this makes sense to you.

Ron...

Does the Colorado have the ability to keep the caches in separate databases like Cachemate does? Thanks. Sli23sli

No.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

The fact that this is true bugged me for quite a while, well until I actually received it and started using it. I use GeoJournal for managing my caches on my desktop. I upload a ton of caches that I want for many areas, home, 3 different canyons, and my work. Since the caches auto sort by distance from where you are makes this a non-issue for me. This actually makes it easier to use than the palm and blackberry software that I've used.

Again, personal opinion, but thought I'd share since I was surprised by my reaction.